What's new
What's new

Way questions 113-B

winch_warrior

Plastic
So I bought this 113-B Southbend lathe that was originally delivered to the Naval Training Academy in San Diego, California in 1940. Started cleaning this thing up and noticed the v-ways have horizontal scratches on them that might be up to .003-.005 deep in some areas. Got me thinking........Is this normal "wear and tear" for a 73 year old lathe or has this thing been "rode hard and put away wet?" Everything else on this lathe is functional and seems to be in good shape.
Haven't got a chance to cut any chips yet as I'm guessing this would be the tall tell sign if there is a problem, just wondering about the ways. Were the ways hardened on these earlier lathes?

There's probably a wear ridge at the top of the "near" V-way (the oneclosest to the operator). You may also notice a ridge on the far v-way, to a lesser degree. There may be some scratching or galling as well.
South Bend was years away from "hardened" ways when your lathe was built.PB

Be advised that most South Bend lathes of that vintage have well worn ways. Like PB says those older SBs never had hardened ways. The only way to determine the amount of wear is to use precision ground test bars in the head stock and tailstock tapers and measure.

So I bought this 113-B Southbend lathe that was originally delivered to the Naval Training Academy in San Diego, California in 1940. Started cleaning this thing up and noticed the v-ways have horizontal scratches on them that might be up to .003-.005 deep in some areas. Got me thinking........Is this normal "wear and tear" for a 73 year old lathe or has this thing been "rode hard and put away wet?" Everything else on this lathe is functional and seems to be in good shape.
Haven't got a chance to cut any chips yet as I'm guessing this would be the tall tell sign if there is a problem, just wondering about the ways. Were the ways hardened on these earlier lathes?

Just use it, if problems show up, then look at fixing it. I've got some gouges in my 14.5" SB but it still works good enough for everything I do on it.

My much smaller 10K has probably .040 - .050" wear ridges on it, front _&_ back.
I have the equipment to measure it if I ever got around to it, but probably don't really want to know, that specifically, it might even be worse!:eek:

I also have a planer to fix it, lots of scraping equipment and masters, and am very conversant with using them all. Sometime maybe a spare bed will show up, and I will. :D

In the meantime (meaning pasts 10 years) I just keep making good parts, including lots of machine tapers (precise accurate fits) and fiddly small stuff.

(The crappy tiny dials bother me and my old eyes more than the worn ways)

Of course you've read and digested "In (modest) praise of klunkers" ?

Adventures With Klunkers

smt

Back