What's new
What's new

Well, I made it...

ng19delta

Aluminum
Well, I made somethingwith my lathe... Not sure what it is...

Well, I made it, but I don't know what it is... lol... I started out with a surface rusted piece of 1" rod stock, faced one end, countersunk drilled it in the lathe, and set it up in the three jaw chuck with live center in the tailstock, and just started playing with it...

I was just doing some experimental chip making, really... First, I used one of my HSS cutters to remove the rust from the area I wanted to work- about 6" or so... Then I cut a chamfer at the end, and took a shot at threading, using my HSS threading cutter. I went with a 1"-24 thread, just for S&G. I wasn't happy with that, so I moved inboard a bit, and cut a 1"-16 thread(which is still there). It came out a good bit rougher than I wanted- I was using oil and blame my technique... I need to work on my threading.

I recut my first bit- rounded the nose for a finishing cut, and removed the initial thread, which had been at the one end. I then started playing around a bit, and made successive, deeper passes, till I was turning off about 1/8"depth. The chip was coming off in nice rolls- I think about a foot was the longest one I got this time (my first chip roll was over 3 ft long! I still have it)... Then I started playing with different depths and different places, making plunging cuts... I finally threw the knurling tool on, and gave that a go, mainly on the one raised ring.

I think I'll probably remove the remaining threaded section, remove the rust from the end & face it, then knurl a "grip" area, and bore the larger end out for a battery cavity... Maybe thread the end, and make a cap, as well(from another piece of stock) and make myself some sort of "sonic screwdriver" toy... I can drill back from the small end, and add an LED, and make some sort of electronics board to fit up/in... Maybe part at one side of the knurled ring, and then bore & thread it, and then thread the outside of the area behind, to make a switch section...

Just ideas. I don't know what I have made yet, but it looks neat so far! Everything was "shot by eye"- no specific pattern, no measuring involved at all... ;) And I'm really happy with the finish- except for the threading...

Scott

Last edited:
That horribly threaded area now looks MUCH better cut down & knurled... And the rust is gone... Still working out what it will be, but having fun with it!

Scott

Just realized this steel is the right diameter to machine collets from... And I have enough, I may try to make myself a set! Once I get the threading thing down...

Scott

Something I found with mine is that if I have the spindle speed too low when threading it tears like that. Not sure what speed you were running, but try a step faster and see if that does anything for you.

Something I found with mine is that if I have the spindle speed too low when threading it tears like that. Not sure what speed you were running, but try a step faster and see if that does anything for you.

Too slow? Never thought of that- I was running my 9A smallest drive pulley to largest driven, with back gear engaged- motor small to big as well), so I guess I had her about as slow as she gets- so if too slow is a problem, entirely likely! I thought slow was better for threading- but I may have misremembered: My 1942 edition of HTRAL was upstairs, and I was too lazy to go get it when I started... I tried finding it in my 1930 copy(printed from the internet), but that one is sort of disrupted... lol...

Thanks! I'll give it another shot at a higher speed- maybe just leave it out of backgear & give it a try. I'm also getting a handle on starting/finishing the thread run- I marked the spot on the ways where I started with a magic marker, so I could take the thread indicator right back top the same location each time... Seemed to work. I need to buy or make a stop for "just such an emuhgency"... I also need to work on remembering how far in to take it each time... I'll get there!

Thanks!
Scott

its a bit dicey, too fast and you might crash the thing, too slow and it tears. Maybe in back gear but at a faster step on the pulley. You may need the back gear for the torque.

I have a cheap mag back dial indicator for that kind of thing. Bring it up to a zero and its in the same place every time. I have a stop too, but its slightly more destructive if I miss the disengagement point so I don't use it much.

What IS the thread on the collets, anyway? My thread gauge has 20, 24,27, 28: and none of these fit.. It seems to be a 25 or 26TPI...

Anybody know what the thread on a South Bend -3 collet is?

Thanks!
Scott

LOL! I was figuring this was sooo far beneath a Welden or Machtool radar there was no danger...

But then... WTF are you and *I* doing here?

:)

Radar implies that a person has all their faculties and senses in working order. So I would not use the word "radar".

Two more users to chalk up in the calculation of fees laid upon the advertisers.

Those threads look like Buttress threads. Don't know if you intended that, but that's kind of cool! :)

I actually shaved them off, and then put a nice knurling over the area... Really looks neat now! Just have to figure what else I am going to do on it... Once I get the threading thing under control, I may try to turn the end down a bit, thread it, and make a cap to thread on the big end, then bore it out, etc.

Scott

Back