What's new
What's new

What is the attachment on the left side of the spindle in this picture?

dizzolve

Plastic
Is this for powering it with some aux power unit?

s-l1600.jpg

The alloy disks look like pulleys. Look more like grooved flat belt than poly vee but hard to see. As the standard motor and drive belt are missing I agree that its been converted to have an external drive for some reason. Probably speed. However the bigger pulley, if that's what it is, has a line around it suggesting that its in two parts so maybe a fast & loose pair.

If, as thomasutly suggests, there should be a collet closer involved from somewhere out of the picture then a fast'n loose pair will be quicker than letting the lathe spin down before releasing the collet and changing the workpiece.

Not one to buy.

Clive.

That is an interesting chuck on the lathe. It looks like a scroll chuck with independently adjustable jaws.

X2 on collet closer or other such item.

2 holes look like air fittings for double acting piston inside and 2 rods below keep from spinning as fittings inserted in holes would align between rods.

Suggest removing chuck to look onside spindle as well as applying air

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I suggest that you do not leave that Chuck key in the Chuck. Always remove it. If you should turn it on with that key in their, at best is going to damage the machine, at worst it is going to sling it out, across the shop. Neither is acceptable in my shop.

As far as the attachment goes, As others have said, It looks to me like an air operated Chuck mechanism. Interesting attachment, probably used for production work.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

I suggest that you do not leave that Chuck key in the Chuck. Always remove it. If you should turn it on with that key in their, at best is going to damage the machine, at worst it is going to sling it out, across the shop.

Joe.

Joe I was going to say the same thing. Very dangerous.

Brent

Well, without a motor or belt it's not turning on anytime soon; however, very bad form to leave the chuck key in the chuck. Reminds me of the machine shop class where the idiot student thought the chuck threaded on (it was a D1-4 spindled lathe)and he thought it was stuck. He took a 3 foot long bar and wedged it up into the chuck jaws. We heard a large 'wack' when he jogged the power button and the bar hit the ways. Missed splitting his head open by about an inch!

Safety First!

X2 on collet closer or other such item.

2 holes look like air fittings for double acting piston inside and 2 rods below keep from spinning as fittings inserted in holes would align between rods.

Suggest removing chuck to look onside spindle as well as applying air

X3, then.

Could be for the chuck, though, rather than, or also-for, a collet system.

Think "production chuck" with its gross-motion range set by key, fine grip/release controlled by the pneumatic closer & drawtube. Costly buggers, such chucks, and more at home on a Hardinge or such than a SB.

If, as thomasutly suggests, there should be a collet closer involved from somewhere out of the picture then a fast'n loose pair will be quicker than letting the lathe spin down before releasing the collet and changing the workpiece.

I'm having trouble picturing the idea of "letting the lathe spin down before releasing the collet and changing the workpiece". The idea of a lever or air closer is so you don't have to stop the lathe. Just open the collet, let the piece drop or remove it, insert new blank or let bar feed push bar up to stop, close collet machine work, open collet, etc.

Sometimes with non-round blanks in clutch collets it can be more convenient (or even safer if the work is large, complex and off center). But ordinary off-the-bar work or round chucker work, there's no need to turn the lathe off, it just slows things down. :)

smt

Back