What's new
What's new

What belt should I get?

osassa

Plastic
Hi everyone,
I have a question, what type of 1" belt should I get for my SB 9, I know there are some options such as original leather, serpentine or link belts, but which one is the best?

If your lathe is a horizontal drive, just go to the auto parts place and get the correct length serpentine belt, about 1" wide. Mine is a Gates K060470.
Its been on there for more than 11 years and still looks great, it will probably last another 25 years. I knocked my spindle out and added the belt in about 1 to 1-1/2 hours total.
I run my lathe probably 4-6 hours a week on average.

UMD belt

I put on a serpentine belt on my 9" umd SB. Could not be happier, best thing ever. I had to splice it with a scarf joint about 2" overlap at the ends, glued it and was using it within 10 minutes

I'm kind of partial to the automotive serpentine belt. I've done that job on a 9" under mount drive and on a Heavy 10 under mount drive and both are highly successful. I laced both of my installations following the lace pattern given by South Bend in HTRAL. I run the ribbed face of the belt against the pulleys and that way most of the lacing stays down in the space between ribs. I used monofilament, 0.039" diameter for the lacing. Those belts drive very well with very little tension.

Wholly crap $55 for a belt, I paid I think $20 and got it at a local auto parts store the same day.
If its an under drive then maybe but if its horizontal drive save the money and head to the auto parts store, I can make mine slip but its hard and I'm taking more than .100 per side at a very good feed rate.

I will also concurr with the others. I switched my 9 to a serpentine belt and am extremely happy with the performance.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Wholly crap $55 for a belt, I paid I think $20 and got it at a local auto parts store the same day.
If its an under drive then maybe but if its horizontal drive save the money and head to the auto parts store, I can make mine slip but its hard and I'm taking more than .100 per side at a very good feed rate.

Mine is an underdrive so it was just the most straight forward approach and saved me a ton of tedium. Rebuilding this lathe had turned into such a money pit anyways I was just like whatever..... what's another $55 when I am already this deep in it and it was the last piece I needed to get the thing up and running.....

I'm kind of partial to the automotive serpentine belt. I've done that job on a 9" under mount drive and on a Heavy 10 under mount drive and both are highly successful. I laced both of my installations following the lace pattern given by South Bend in HTRAL. I run the ribbed face of the belt against the pulleys and that way most of the lacing stays down in the space between ribs. I used monofilament, 0.039" diameter for the lacing. Those belts drive very well with very little tension.

Thanks for the specifics on the lacing. I was planning to do the same thing on my 10L, but now I know what definitely works for the lace.

I replaced mine with a serpentine belt a couple weeks ago although I just removed the spindle and backgear and did it without a splice. It doesn't slip often but, if it does, it's got a high pitched squeal unlike the old belt.

Back