What's new
What's new

What was black (oxided?) on a new 10L?

StrayAlien

Cast Iron
Hmm, the only things I can think of that were black-oxide were the tiny knurled thumbscrews on the
graduated feed dials. Possibly color case hardened?

Righto. Not much then at all, if anything :-)

Reason for asking is that I have access to a black oxiding kit and was wondering what items to let it loose on. Sounds like not a great many!

Thanks for responding.

For my South Bend 10L restoration, I'm going to be black-oxide treating all of the hardware and polishing everything else. I think it will end up looking great! You should enjoy yourself with your machine, make it how you want it. there's nothing historic about these tools, no reason to follow any rules.

Yes, it is pretty darn tempting isn't it! But, I'll try to excercise some restraint, I kind of like the idea of getting it back to something like new-in-1941 condition. :-)

Stray - check out Paula's (the former SB moderator) lathe. She and I both did some black oxide operations on our lathes. I have two videos showing the process as well as the finished lathe. The black cap-screws and tail wrench make the lathe look REAL nice. Love, love, love the black oxide process ;)

Hi Brad, thanks. I have certainly seen your videos. Very helpful. :-)

Paula's resto is truly very nice, as too are all of yours - you guys have given us something to aim for and somewhat of a reference. Actually, I am often looking at your 10L resto pics to remind myself of where stuff goes! I am not sure I'll get things quite that shiny though, the scotchbrite discs here (in Oz) are like $270 or something. I have been looking at those restos again to see what you oxided.

It looks like Paula has done more 'external' stuff than on your 10, and although it does look pretty good, I'll be more inclined to stick with the bolts and set screws I think. I could be tempted into one or two other things (like the wrench :-) ), but I'll try to stick to what it may have been like when it came out of the crate. Let's see if I go black oxide crazy once I get going. :-) muahhhaahaaaaaa

Thanks again.

Greg.

Back