What's new
What's new

What is this bracket from a heavy 10?

Dan1900

Aluminum
Does anyone know what this bracket is for? At first I thought it was a really basic carriage stop but then I'm not sure why they would have put a washer on it. It came separately with my heavy 10.

Thanks

IMG_3643.jpg

Thanks for your help. 1 more piece I need identifying that also came with the lathe. The cone piece is the collet nose, correct? Now the other piece, is that a thread protector? Is it original, and if so why does it have threaded holes?

What would the value of these parts be, roughly? I am trying to recover some of the original purchase price and I don't see myself using collets in the near future.

IMG_3655.jpgIMG_3656.jpgIMG_3657.jpg

Thanks for your help. 1 more piece I need identifying that also came with the lathe. The cone piece is the collet nose, correct? Now the other piece, is that a thread protector? Is it original, and if so why does it have threaded holes?

What would the value of these parts be, roughly? I am trying to recover some of the original purchase price and I don't see myself using collets in the near future.

View attachment 209354View attachment 209355View attachment 209356
Chuck back for a 4-jaw chuck (probably a Skinner)
Ted

Thanks both, I think I'll put them on ebay as buy it nows separately since they arent exactly similar items.

Collet nose: $100
Back plate: $100

With the option to make an offer because I'm not 100% sure the pricing is right.

I snagged the heavy 10 for $300 off CL (disassembled and in pieces) so I dont have a huge cost to try and recover.

You are going to hate yourself for getting rid of the collet adapter.

I would keep both.

Any reason to keep the backplate? I am not 100% sure but I think it was being used as a thready protector when using collets by the previous owner. I can get an original thread protector for $50 if I decide to go the collet route, no?

You can, but in the meantime you may as well hang on to it. Its not a full backplate, so unless someone happens to have that specific chuck needing that specific thread it may not have a lot of demand. it does look like the OE Skinner 4 jaw adapter though.

The collet closer is a nice thing to have, especially if you've got the drawbar so you can actually make use of them. Thats the only thing I'm missing for mine, and a few times I've really wished I had it just because it would have been easier to hold stuff in a collet vs the chuck.

If you got the machine for 300 bucks you're way ahead of the game already.

The backplate isn't worth squat....except if you find a chuck that fits.

if it works for a thread protector then that's what it is. I would use a it as such....no harm or foul and if that nice Skinner?? 4J pops up then it's a backplate again.:)

Back