What's new
What's new

What do I do wtih this? 14 1/2" lathe

lad115

Plastic
I got this lathe in a package deal. I didn't get a chance to inspect it before the pruchase.... Don't ask.

It looks like a bunch of stuff is missing. What is there looks to be in pretty good condition.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Do I try to restore the machine or do I sell it for parts?

Thanks in advance:

Newbee Dave

Interesting that it is a 1942 serial number, but it is a loose change gear machine instead of quick change gearbox. That implies that it was built for the war effort, and expected to live its life turning out a single part, where feed rate or thread pitch were not often changed. Looks like all you are missing is the reverser, change gears, compound, and some covers. All those are replaceable. I think you might spend less money putting a QCGB on it than finding the gears, however.

allan

It is not junk, but it might need some work.
Not sure what your situation is.
What would you do with it if it were a running lathe?
Do you need a lathe?
If you do and a simple lathe will help you, then fix it and use it, if you don't then sell it.
:rolleyes5:

That machine looks more like a 13 or even a heavy 10,not a 14. You should take some measurements. I looked for a change gear 13 for a few years but settled for a single tumbler machine which is quite nice. There are things you can do with a change gear machine that can't be done with a gear box.

Back