Close
Login to Your Account
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Granny,

Nice looking part.

It's aluminum? Is that going to be up to the job? All the CV flanges I've seen used high strength bolts and a pretty good torque. Will the aluminum in there loosen up in use?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
    I'm in the middle of installing a bmw M6 engine in a 1972 Datsun 240Z, had to build an adaptor to mate up the bmw CV joint to the Datsun differential. Had I spent more time on it I could have achieved a better finish but then it will spend all of its time under the car.Attachment 185081Attachment 185082Attachment 185083Attachment 185084Attachment 185085

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have finally been able to finish a project I've been working on for a while. I have a small mill as well and spent a few minutes here and there on my SB 9a lathe (some time on the mill too, I hope that's allowed) and finished this boring head for my mill.
    No way was I going to spend a couple hundred bucks on a small boring head so I just spent a way more time that I would like to count to make one. ha. Good thing time isn't money... oh wait.

I made this out of stainless and I'm pretty happy with the results. img_1510.jpg

3. Likes letlevski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks great! Nice big dial too.

Pete

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

double post

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wrljet View Post
    Granny,

Nice looking part.

It's aluminum? Is that going to be up to the job? All the CV flanges I've seen used high strength bolts and a pretty good torque. Will the aluminum in there loosen up in use?

Bill
    Yes aluminum, the bolts are metric 10.9 grade. I guess I'll find out if it will hold up, I'm not a rev it up and drop the clutch kind of guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes aluminum, the bolts are metric 10.9 grade. I guess I'll find out if it will hold up, I'm not a rev it up and drop the clutch kind of guy.
    Just don't put huge tires on it,when they are spinning they won't break anything,when they hookup is when something breaks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In a factory setup, those high grade screws are clamping the steel CV joint to a steel flange. The resistance to the joint twisting comes from the friction between the mating surfaces, the result of the clamping force of the screws. The screws do not transfer the driveshaft / axle torque.

My concern is that your aluminum adapter will mush out under the screw heads, so you will not get the high clamping load and resultant friction at the flange. And every time there's a high torque applied it's wiggle a little. Getting worse and worse over (a relatively short) time.

I would recheck the screw torque after running it a while and keep an eye on it.
    If the screws don't loosen up, then you're good.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Wipers

Hand madeimage.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Williams View Post
    hi gary, i used an SB9A. yes the axle was very hard to turn. it was hardened, could not even get a cutter to scratch it at first. used a propane torch with mapp gas and while turning slow in the lathe with all the lights out i could just get a very dull red to appear in the shaft. took about an hour to work my way down the shaft. even then had a few hard spots in the shaft. when i got about .075" in to the thread the half nuts striped. after replacing the half nuts was able to finish the shaft. probly about 100-120 passes.
    the nut is the flange end of a crank shaft that i parted off in the lathe and then bored a whole through, the threading was easy ( that is the metal cut easy ), i had never cut acme internal threads before. when i got to the cutting depth and tried to thread the shaft into the nut it would bind. i cut the thread deeper and same result. i rotated the nut slightly in the jaws of the chuck to try and get the cut wider. same result. finaly i got a glimmer of a clue and bored anothe .020" out of the center and wahlah the nut fit the shaft.
    all this took a long time but it was a great lesson.
    i made a boring bar out of a 5/8" shaft from and old floor jack, cross drilled the end with 1/4" drill and used a set screw to hold the bit. had to heat 1/4" drill shank bright red and douse in cold water to get it hard enough to cut.
    i may make a back plate or a face plate out of the left over axle flange.
    Only one thing I can say- "Damn!" Nice work!

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tonight I made a "Machinist's Puzzle", in order to practice my threading...

It came out ok, with a few minor defects- not the least of which is I cut the threads a hair too loose: but not bad for a first attempt... I'm planning to make a few more for friends, and practice building my skills with them...

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

good on you delta...that's how you do it...small satisfying projects...and you even have a copy of MH!!!! Why everyone doesn't is beyond me.

You will do well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    good on you delta...that's how you do it...small satisfying projects...and you even have a copy of MH!!!! Why everyone doesn't is beyond me.

You will do well.
    Thanks! I plan to make 7-10 of them for friends & family, in order to hone my thread cutting skills...

The copy of Machinery Handbook is the 1943 printing, and was my late dad's... I also have all his "International Textbook Company" machinist course textbooks from International Correspondence Schools in Scranton... He got his diploma from them in 1947, but started in 1942... Of course, the Army took a little bit of his time then, too... And I also have "Shop Theory" from The Henry Ford School... LOTS of good reference to learn from! Would have been nice if Dad was still around to play with the lathe- I'm sure he'd be delighted!