What's new
What's new

Newby with South Bend lathe project

smokinjoe

Plastic
Hi All
New to this forum, I am just starting to get this lathe back into running condition. So far I have determined that the missing pieces are the motor plate ,belt tensioner ,motor controller, motor, motor pulley and belts.I have found out so far from the headstock or gear cover plate the Catalog number is 744Y the Bed length is 3. this seems to be the A model of the 9" lathes. Everything moves freely , just needs a good cleaning and some rust removal.Where would a good place to get parts from. Are all 9" South bend lathes the same as far as parts ? I am enclosing pictures, if you see anything I might have missed or you have some helpful suggestions to help me out let me know .

Thanks
Joethumbnail_IMG_0641.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0642.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0643.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0644.jpg

You're going to need the serial number of the machine (on the top front right end between the ways). You may want to get the serial card from Grizzly (who bought SB at some point and have most of the old data for how the machine was ordered). The card can tell a lot about your machine. It is 25 bucks well spent IMO.
As for parts you will be looking on ebay for these and folks are always taking apart these old machines and selling the parts.

Good luck

Kevin is right on with the serial card. My 1952 9A was my first machine and first restoration. I didn't know anything, and I didn't get the card until later in the game. Get the card and learn a bit about your specific machine.

You should also read all the listings on ebay for southbend lathe. Just looking at the parts that are for sale you'll get to know the right questions to ask and who has the good stuff. There are a couple of people on here and there who have all the parts squirreled away. You just need to ask, and with the exception of a few items (taper attachment, steady & follow rests, and a few others) everything is available and not too expensive.

Finally, get the guide on restoration for these lathes. It's called "A Guide to Renovating the Southbend Lathe 9" Models A, B & C Plus Model 10K." It walks you through every step of the disassembly and re-assembly of your machine. You'll need to strip the headstock to get the oiling system up to spec. You can buy the rebuild kit from user stevewb on ebay. It comes with all the seals, felts, and wipers you'll need to get your machine going.

Good luck!

Lathe Card

Here is my lathe info card. Note that after many hours of staring at this I updated the typing using my computer for readability.

shop card #31054NAR9 - front EDITED.jpg

shop card #31054NAR9 - back EDITED.jpg

Welcome to the forum, smokenjoe. I think you will have a lot of fun refurbishing this nice lathe.

I highly recommend you get Steve Brooks' book, Guide to Renovating the South Bend Lathe 9" Model A, B & C & Model 10k Horizontal Drive (ISBN 978-0-578-05359-2). I think I got mine from Ilion Industrial Services, PO Box 80502, Raleigh, NC 27623-0502, <[email protected]>. I have a note that says STEVE BROOKS sells on Ebay under the ID of STEVEWB. I haven't verified that.

You've already found the world's best source of information on this lathe, so step one can be checked off.

You're going to need the serial number of the machine (on the top front right end between the ways). You may want to get the serial card from Grizzly (who bought SB at some point and have most of the old data for how the machine was ordered). The card can tell a lot about your machine. It is 25 bucks well spent IMO.
As for parts you will be looking on ebay for these and folks are always taking apart these old machines and selling the parts.

Good luck

Thank you for your help and reply

Don't spray can stuff clean because that just drives dust and chips into tight places. A drip oil can is a lathes best friend. Don't wire brush numbered dial because that soon wears the numbers away. Don't fire up with not knowing the head is taking oil.

If you tear down the head be sure to measure and map the shims. Place them in a way so you are sure exactly how they should go back. Starting back with an off head and a pile of shims is not fun.

Hand small-brush or pick out chips..don't air hose blow them away.

Some older machines are so full of casting filler putty that stripping bare is/can be more work than sanding and painting. Don't if that is true about a SB lathe.

Yes good to wear a good mask when sanding old paints (any paints).

Hello, I just purchased a south bend lathe that was sold to packer machinery company as well. I’m just being my restoration. If I figure out how to post a picture I will.

smokinjoe, and k103;
Here's a little Rehab assistance if by chance you don't already have these in use!
ZEP purple Industrial degreaser (water base)is great on large surfaces ; just protect areas of lubrication if you're not fully disassembling. Glass bead blast cabinets and deburring wheels will bring all the smaller parts back to life with little danger of metal removal. There's also a couple Southbend paint color formulas on the forum if you're searching for an original SB Gray color. Good luck with the projects; let's see those SB's SHINE!!
Johnny

Oil is your friend with old setting lathes/machines. be sure spindles are wet with oil in all the needed places, and an oil rag wipe doesn't hurt.
Spray cans can be harmful, so a rag and drip can may be better.

smokinjoe, and k103;
Here's a little Rehab assistance if by chance you don't already have these in use!
ZEP purple Industrial degreaser (water base)is great on large surfaces ; just protect areas of lubrication if you're not fully disassembling. Glass bead blast cabinets and deburring wheels will bring all the smaller parts back to life with little danger of metal removal. There's also a couple Southbend paint color formulas on the forum if you're searching for an original SB Gray color. Good luck with the projects; let's see those SB's SHINE!!
Johnny
Thanks Johnny, great tips and I have already implemented them as my standard practices for restoring anything Purple degreaser in the parts washer. Just watch with aluminum. I have blasted the 80 percent of the parts back to bare metal watching to not hit any machine areas and taped them off. As for the paint. I used my local SW and gave them the information but when I picked it up ( I didn’t look) at the color it was grey brown. I then figured I would just use a machine grey from the big box store. Will have to figure the picture thing out but looking forward to continue learning about these machines.

I am rebuilding a Southbend 9A lathe as well. I purchased a set of the 4" riser legs for my lathe. One of them has a pivot for lateral adjustment built in. Should this let go on the headstock end, or tailstock end? I suspect tailstock, but am unsure.

Thanks for any help.

Pete

Back