What's new
What's new

What have you made FOR your South Bend?

viking17

Plastic
Just a twist on an old theme. I sold the parts for an old Logan Lathe and had the cast iron legs and pan cluttering up the shop. It's too heavy to ship and no one in the greater Chicago land area needed one so I decided rather than scrap it I would put it to good use.
I could not post it to the other subject because I did not use my lathe to make any of the parts. Yes, I am vacation and I am getting bored.

lathetoy.jpg

Now, for something completely different.

I've been searching for some way to get e-mail notifications. Is that gone, or am I just being obtuse again?

TIA.

Wally.

I wish I'd known you were looking to get rid of those legs and tray. I would have driven up from Kankakee to pick them up. Last month I bought a whole lathe and scrapped it just for the exact same set of logan legs.

SB9onlegs2.jpg

I mounted my SB 9" on them last week end.

SB9onlegs3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wally,

Nice work! And the connecting-rod-chuck-key-holder is a new one on me -- very creative. :)

I've been searching for some way to get e-mail notifications. Is that gone, or am I just being obtuse again?

I don't use it, but I believe the option is still available. Go to the User CP, and look under "Default Thread Subscription Mode".

Paula

Paula,

Thanks for the guidance on the notification. I guess it's just moved. I belong to another forum where it was non-functioning for quite a while ('til last nite), and needed any actual fixin'.

I wish that lawnmower had been a twelve cylinder.

Thanks,

Wally.

This is a lousy photo, but it shows a radius turning tool, a 6K handwheel collet closer, a micrometer carriage stop, a carriage dial indicator attachment, a knurling tool, a "shaper" tool for cutting keyways, a threading stop and a toolpost holder for a Dremel tool.

Shoot, you'd think I never make anything except for stuff for the lathe! :-)

Blob

PICT0001.jpg

Hi Blob,

very nice stuff ! Did you produce any CAD drawings for the items you made ?
I would love to make just about everything you have on the table :)
I am still a newby so a drawing with dimensions would be very helpful.

Again, nice work !
~Kevin

GE Refrigator Parts Bin

In my effort to clean up the shop I realized that I had parts spread all over the place. I decided I needed to make a bin to hold all of my nuts, bolts, screws etc. I needed a large steel box to hold everything. The price of steel being a bit high these days I decided to look for an alternatve 'existing' source for my metal. I know this is a bit of a stretch but I do store a few items for the lathe in here (drill bits etc) and it is the holiday season so I thought I would include this pic just for fun

lathetoy002.jpg

This 1930's model now sports 7 storage shelves, a pull out platform, a circulating fan and a night light. Some day this will move into my daughters house as a PC station in her retro kitchen.

Love it. I just traded a neighbor some flag stone for a nice old vertical stand alone locker unit from the local high school.... great storage... and numbered! I think we both feel that the other guy got the short end......

bb

Hi Blob,

very nice stuff ! Did you produce any CAD drawings for the items you made ?
I would love to make just about everything you have on the table :)
I am still a newby so a drawing with dimensions would be very helpful.

Again, nice work !
~Kevin

Thanks Kevin - unfortunately I don't have any drawings of the stuff I made - For some of the things I just scratched out the dimensions on paper and then threw it away when I was done, and for some I got the plans from magazines. (Home Shop Machinist and Machinist's Workshop) And I'm such a dinosaur that I practically had to look up what CAD meant, not to mention using it for making drawings! :-) Not really, but you get the point. I'm sorry I can't help you out, but I do wish you good luck in making stuff for the lathe - I've sure enjoyed making and using it, and I'm sure you will also.

Merry Christmas to you, and to all who may read this.

Blob

Hi Blob,

no worries. Just thought I would ask. I need the practice anyway. I will start with the easy parts and work my way up to the more difficult ones.

Regards,
Kevin

QC toolholders

When I got my SB I was lucky that it came with a QC tool post. However it is a FIMS tool post, originally made in New Jersey but unfortunately no longer made, so extra holders are near impossible to find. I had five original holders, but wanted more, so I made these extras. They're mild steel and not hardened, but work well just the same.

PICT0006.jpg

Blob

Back