Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what with the 4 image per reply stuff?

new fingers for the steady rest

carriage travel indicator

And a place to hold various goodies, tools, an overhead light and hang my scribblins on, mounted in the "mystery holes" in the rear of the bed

I'm sure more will come as needed.

Jim

2. Likes NewGuyCanuk, itsmeBernie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quicky job for convenience. Where to set your chuck key when the chip tray is full and you don't anywhere to mount a piston conecting rod. Tray is 10ga. 8 1/5 x 9 1/2 and fits front or back. Had an extra gear cover bracket sitting around.

Last edited by Paula; 06-13-2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Insteted spaces between image links

4. Likes NewGuyCanuk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Easy to make chuck key holder for the SB's with the forward-reverse switch mounted on the pipe off the back of the machine.

A piece of 3/4 EMT tubing, cut on a tube notcher to fit the pipe, 2 slits front and rear with a die grinder or band saw, (can't remember), and a worm screw clamp.
    Ernie F.

6. Likes NewGuyCanuk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi I made this about 20 year's ago for holding small D bits, small carbide boreing bars, small U drills, well anything with a diameter less than 17.5mm, as you can see I'm using the deckel cutter grinder collet,
    Then I modified it to a 12 way indexing head if you look closely you can see the location pin
    Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ebay-new-207.jpg   ebay-new-208.jpg   ebay-new-209.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Made a few minor additions to the heavy 10. No metal was harmed for this project!

First up is some shelf liners:

It's tempered hardboard (3/16" I think) fastened on with flat head screws. I really didn't want to add new holes that didn't belong there, but it makes for a better setup. Otherwise those shelves take an awful beating and my paint is not nearly as rugged as the factory paint.

And this is my take on a tool tray:

Nothing fancy, just a quick job made from 1/2" MDF. The "finish" is just mineral oil. Just glued up, no fasteners.

Ken

9. Likes NewGuyCanuk, letlevski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where Ernie F has his Chuck Key I have a magnifying Light.

Help me see a lot better.

Jim B.

11. Likes NewGuyCanuk, silver star liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Made 4 my lathe with my lathe...

Here is my home made ER40 collet chuck holding a milling cutter, cutting a slot in some 1" sq tubing held in my home made tool block. The 1/2" and 1" slot in the tool block comes in handy to hold about anything...Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mvc-024f.jpg  
    Bob Wright Metal Master Fab
    Salem, Ohio Birthplace of the Silver and Deming Drill, all others are copies.

13. Likes CDRIVE, NewGuyCanuk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great thread!

While not strictly built for the lathe (it's holds R8 collets), I was encouraged by Ken's posting of wood-related lathe accessories. And anyway, I plan to make one of these for my set of South Bend 5C collets:

It's made from a block of Black Walnut, 1-3/4 x 3-1/4 x 11-3/8". The (14) holes were drilled on the mill with a 1" Forstner bit to within 3/16" of the bottom. The 1/8" x 45 deg. chamfer edge was done with a router. The rack was finished with several coats of Deft spray lacquer.

I have used this same configuration to hold a variety of different types of shop tooling, including such items as drills, reamers, hex balldrivers, etc. I love the way that wood harmonizes with machined metal.

Paula

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Lazy susan tool holder...

Here is what i use to hold the tooling i use the most so everything is at my fingertips. A cast iron disc 10" OD with #2 & #3 MT size holes drilled in it to hold my tooling. Then i just swing it under the chip pan out of the way and it stays pretty clean under there...Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mvc-001f.jpg   mvc-002f.jpg  
    Bob Wright Metal Master Fab
    Salem, Ohio Birthplace of the Silver and Deming Drill, all others are copies.

16. Likes NewGuyCanuk liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post

I have used this same configuration to hold a variety of different types of shop tooling, including such items as drills, reamers, hex balldrivers, etc. I love the way that wood harmonizes with machined metal.
    Yes, the wood certainly looks nice with the metal. Way better than my MDF, but then I seem to have more MDF scrap than hardwood!

I agree those are nice blocks. I've made a few for things like boring bar holders. Maybe I should take a pic of the "collection". I'll try to remember.

So on the 5c block, I need to make something myself. I have a set of 1/32" collets, and obviously the SB rack doesn't help. I figure I'll keep the 1/16's in the rack and store the extras elsewhere. Makes sense since the 1/16's are used most often.

I've been debating making either a block just like you did for the R8's or a box with an insert like that. I have such a box for my router bits and I love it. Only there I bought the box and just made the insert so it wasn't a big project. The box method has the bonus of being stackable. I figure at some point I'll start collecting 1/64 collets as I need them plus you end up with pot chucks, and other misc 5c "things". I should also think about storing the collet stop and the collet wrench.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just recently made a replica collett box (thread here was several months back) that SB included with their earlier lathes. Made from red oak--

That walnut looks great, Paula. And the lacquer makes it...I use lacquer to seal my levels, squares and libellas--and then hand rub w/0000 steel wools and hand buff...

Heavyken, the mdf tool shelf across the ways is a great idea--looks good, too...

Am making a 'protractor level' as a prototype--the level is split 3/4 of its upper portion so that the upper part rotates to meet the angle being measured--the bubble vial will reside in the lower part of the split...the level is of cherry...I'll post pics shortly---

The original level I am replicating was made in the 1830's...

Joe

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Joe and Paula, Have you thought any about how the finish on the wood might affect interactions with the metal in regard to corrosion?

I know many people consider wooden toolchests to be better than metal in that regard. Supposedly the wood acts to moderate humidity. Kind of like a desacant (sp?).

Sorry, long winded, but what I'm wondering is if sealing with a lacquer or poly prevents the wood
    from helping with corrosion.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Besides the bench which I have posted before I made these racks to hold my collets.

21. Likes NewGuyCanuk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Heavyken...

Hmmm, my dad said this was 'sorta' true, depending, of course on the environment--but kept a small box of baking soda in his chests, as a safety measure. That old adage...you know... 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...'

Lacquer may well do as you suggest---but for my collet holes on my collet box--I did not spray around the contact areas of the holes to hold the collets--cellulose lacquers are a bit more forgiving as they breathe more than urethanes...

Cooncat--neat solution for collets...

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Left, wood shelf attached to lathe using two holes someone drilled sometime in the last 99 years. In the shelf is an Al. hammer I made on the lathe for gently wacking things in the lathe. Right, under the lathe, old coumpter desk that I cut down with a table saw to be used to store tooling. Gary P. Hansen

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Traveling light on the saddel. Gary P. Hansen

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My South Bend takes a chuck with 1 1/2" x8 threads per inch.

My LeBlond takes a chuck with 2 7/8"x5 threads per inch.

Problem, I do not have a four jaw chuck for the LeBlond.

Answer, The Chuck Hanger shown in the photo. I can chuck the chuck hanger in the three jaw in the LeBlond and screw on my South Bend's four jaw. Gary P. Hansen

26. Likes NewGuyCanuk liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very interesting drive pulley system. Could we see a better photo of that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Atwaterkent: If you look in the Antique Machinery and History forum I have a thread called "My Brand New 1909 LeBlond Came Home Today". It has a bunch of photos and I will bump it to the top so you can find it. If you would like a photo from another angle just let me know and I will take one. Gary P. Hansen

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Gary. A very unique solution for drive shaft power. Bob M.