What's new
What's new

What height to build lathe bench?

Domodude17

Aluminum
I have a bench mount Southbend 9A lathe. I'm going to build a bench for it at some point, and I have a corian countertop to use as the benchtop. I'm not sure how tall to make it though. I think I heard a good rule of thumb was to make it so that the crossfeed and compound dials were at elbow height. Can anyone recommend something?

Don't make it too short or too high...make it juuuuust right

I'd say high enough for the cranks to be 36" off the ground, but maybe play around for what's cuntfortable for you.

I think the rule of thumb is to make the spindle elbow height rather than the cross feed/compound. Mock it up and see what's comfortable.

Your shop, your rules. :)

Just make sure the base is wide enough so that it doesn't become tippy. I have my 10L with the middle of the spindle slightly above elbow height and it works out OK for me.

I like my small lathes a little higher than recommended so I do not have to bend too much to look at small work. I have a small platform near the lathe made out of some 2x4s giving me an extra 3" height that brings me to the regular height when needed.

I like my small lathes a little higher than recommended so I do not have to bend too much to look at small work.

Same here. I started out in the Elbow Height school of thought. Then I put casters under the bench and found the extra 3" made the work much more comfortable.

When I get the HD casters under the 11" Powermatic, it will be 6" higher, and it will need every bit of it.

I'm 6'3" so I like my work a bit higher than some

I have a bench mount Southbend 9A lathe. I'm going to build a bench for it at some point, and I have a corian countertop to use as the benchtop. I'm not sure how tall to make it though. I think I heard a good rule of thumb was to make it so that the crossfeed and compound dials were at elbow height. Can anyone recommend something?

Height you should experiment with. That's one of the few "bench" lathe advantages. Use it.

I'd put the Corian atop Bally edge-glued hardwood - if I even used Corian at all. Micarta, Formica, or better-yet METAL are more suitable.

Corian doesn't have much strength of its own, and isn't as stain and abuse resistant in a machining environment as in a kitchen or bathroom.

Most of all... and Corian won't do this for yah.. you need to provide for serious support PLUS ease of FINE adjustment.

A SB bed is not stiff enough by itself. Its bench and/or legs or cabinet pedestals are important players, but are not especially stable by THEMSELVES.

Expect to spend some time on initial leveling to insure the spaghetti bed is not twisted.

Plan to check and adjust it periodically as the supporting bench under it MOVES - sometimes with mere changes in local humidity.

Back