What lubricant to use on chuck components?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What lubricant to use on chuck components?

I have a 3 jaw and a 4 jaw that I took apart for general cleaning and derusting. Im wondering what type of oil you should use on the internal components, such as the scroll for the 3 jaw and the jaw screws for the 4 jaw. Would way oil be appropriate? It seems like youd want something a bit heavier.

As an aside, i know youre not supposed to use grease in chucks, but my 3 jaw (an old union manufacturing chuck) had grease in some pockets around the outer edge, not on any of the moving components. It looks like its purpose might have been to collect and hold any stray chips that did make it into the chuck-thoughts on this? It seems like a clever idea, and I cant imagine what else the grease would have been for

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We use Mobil XHP 221 for pretty much everything in our shop including our CNC lathe chucks.

3. Likes B-Mathews liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

whatever you use on it, the first time you go to use it set the machine to max speed and put a cardboard box large enough to sit on the ways and go over the chuck before turning it on. The excess oil will sling out into the box rather than all over you.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have to agree with the Hot Rolled. I guess I over greased the spindle of my drill press. It has been slinging grease at me. Just two more pumps of the grease gun will be better. Ha

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the few places I ever used grease.

I used motor assembly lube...common in little tubes as lubriplate 105

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Domodude17 View Post
    I have a 3 jaw and a 4 jaw that I took apart for general cleaning and derusting. Im wondering what type of oil you should use on the internal components, such as the scroll for the 3 jaw and the jaw screws for the 4 jaw. Would way oil be appropriate? It seems like youd want something a bit heavier.

As an aside, i know youre not supposed to use grease in chucks, but my 3 jaw (an old union manufacturing chuck) had grease in some pockets around the outer edge, not on any of the moving components. It looks like its purpose might have been to collect and hold any stray chips that did make it into the chuck-thoughts on this? It seems like a clever idea, and I cant imagine what else the grease would have been for
    A dry assembly paste made by mixing a bit of linseed oil with MOS2 5 micron until it's like a hard(ish) cake. Dissolve in kerosene and apply with brush. Let dry and wipe off but not too energetically. Alternatively Schunk sells what they think it's best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Uh, note that some chucks (notably schunks) explicitly require a grease, and chuck-ease is a grease specifically made for chucks...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mllud22 View Post
    I have to agree with the Hot Rolled. I guess I over greased the spindle of my drill press. It has been slinging grease at me. Just two more pumps of the grease gun will be better. Ha
    I figured that trick out after putting too much on my 3 jaw. First time I turned the thing on I had a stripe of oil from eyebrows to belly button.

I've used both way oil and NLGI-0 grease. The oil seems to have less problems with chips getting stuck.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an old 21 inch Union chuck on my Cincinnati lathe. It has grease fittings on the back of the chuck right behind the clamps that hold the screw in place. I am going to grease that but wipe off Any excess and use a good oil on the screw. That's a tough area to try to brush chips out.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On my 3 jaw, the back portion with the gears is sealed so I used grease in there. The front of the scroll and jaws got way oil. The screws on the 4 jaw got way oil as well

12. Likes mllud22 liked this post