What's new
What's new

What MLA accessories are you able to complete without access to a mill?

Domodude17

Aluminum
I have a standard , run-of-the-mill southbend 9A. No access to a mill, no milling attachment, no T-slotted cross slide. I do have a fixturing faceplate, and will soon have a 4 jaw chuck. What projects would I be able to atually make from the MLA website with this setup? Thanks!

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/ is the link for anyone wondering.

If you really want to get to do cool home shop projects. Make or buy a used milling attachment. Even if in not 100% for your machine adapt one to fit.

You then can start to make some neat basic stuff and you will start to learn to the basics of machining, measuring, and alignments.

When we first started out racing we had no milling machine, just a old atlas lathe and milling attachment. Made a lot of early racing parts with that combo. Crude but always functional.

The parts that I make now with better equipment over 20years of getting stuff here and there, such as Bridgeport milling machines and nice lathes and cylindrical grinder are really cool.

But it all started with an old atlas lathe with milling attachment, caliper, dial indicator, and a 3 piece mic set and the want to learn and make my own parts.

53w

Back