What's new
What's new

What parts are common between heavy 9 and 9 jr?

Big Gem

Aluminum
DSCN5337.jpg
This is my primary lathe, a 380A. Please don't warn me about the casters - they're only for moving it while painting. It's already fallen on me once without wheels, so I'm not gonna encourage it; it gets safety cables when it's back in its location.

Anyway, I'm running a couple pieces that are sort of slapped together. The back gear handle is a ginned up scrap from a 405 and the half nut handle is not even a real one. I can't figure out how to match parts across models. Does anyone know if any parts from a 9 jr are the same?

Thanks

Unfortunately, there were some changes in the apron, and several changes in the headstock over the life of the wide bed 9". I expect the half-nut lever would interchange across many of those years, though the location of the lever changed on the Series O Jr at least once. The later Series N,S,T,R machines I would not expect the half nut lever to interchange with each other or with the older ones. The headstock changed enough, that I would not be surprised if the back gear parts differed by year.

I have a 1927 9Jr, I could take some measurements for you if it would help. But, your lathe looks later than mine, certainly post 1928 by the headstock. You need a clearer picture of the apron so we can be sure of the type.

allan

Thanks. I can keep track of the 9N lathes pretty good, but the jr ones completely baffle me. Here's a picture. Does this help?DSCN5341.jpg

Looks like all you are missing is the bat handle on the half nut lever?

As far as the back gear lever, I think one from a 10L would be the right style, but don't know if it would be a direct fit, likely easy to adapt if not.

Looks like all you are missing is the bat handle on the half nut lever?

As far as the back gear lever, I think one from a 10L would be the right style, but don't know if it would be a direct fit, likely easy to adapt if not.

Yes, that handle. One of these days, when the weather gets cold, I'll get around to making one. Hadn't thought about the 10L for the backgear. I'll look. Thank you.

i think I need to retract the statement about the 10L back gear lever.

after looking around I have no idea. Can't find any pics of your exact model.

Some of the era seem to have levers similar to the workshop 9s and some seem to have levers with a handle similar to the shape of the tailstock handle but are straight and not offset like the 10l

Beats me.

Back