What's new
What's new

What QCTP to buy

Fremen

Plastic
Hi All,

So I have received Wifely approval to buy a QCTP.

For 120 I can get one from CDCO.

Or 185 for the Sharrs

Big thing is I am in Canada and the $ conversion is going to hurt.

Is the Sharrs worth the extra 65$

I can't speak to the CDCO vs Shars, but my guess is that most of the generic chinese toolposts are made by the same company, or are at least pretty similar in quality, which is to say, not very good. Some have had good experience with them, but I think one of the issues is the inconsistent quality, so it can be a crapshoot.

A wedge toolpost is better than a piston toolpost. Aloris used to make piston toolposts, but they don't any more. That should tell you something.

That said, the generic chicom wedge that I had wasn't as good as my Phase II piston post. If you can't afford an Aloris, get a Phase II. You can get generic toolholders, but do yourself a favor and get a Phase II wedge toolpost. If you have to buy one and replace it, it will end up costing you more.

I switched from a Phase II piston to a Phase II wedge and I like mine. The piston post didn't lock as well.

I have a pile of CDCO toolholders. They are adequate, but, get yourself a box of holo-chrome or other USA made setscrews. The ones that come with them will raise your cholesterol level because they are made of butter. The main difference you will notice with the CDCO and other generic toolholders is that your handle will lock in different places due to inconsistencies in the dimensions of the dovetail, but they will still work.

You can buy better tooholders, but you will end up with fewer for your dollars. If you find yourself having to change toolbits in your toolholders, then it ain't quick change.

You can get 5 CDCO toolholders for what one Aloris costs, and 3 for what a Phase II costs (with some change left over).

Also, for a buck more (from CDCO), get some of the turning and boring ones - they have a groove in the bottom so you can use them with round boring bars as well as square toolbits. Get some of the turning-only ones, because sometimes you have a square bit that is too small and drops into the groove.

If you can't find a new Phase II on sale, look for a used one on ebay. You can buy new Phase II axa sets on ebay for $200. A used set recently sold for $125 on ebay.

Steve

I'm sure you know the phrase "You get what you pay for ..."

Buy once and be happy ... maybe you could consider the Multifix system, buy once and it last for life!

Just my 2 cents ;)

John :typing::cheers:

PS: I guess you'll need size A

I second the Multifix system .Create Tool in China makes a very good quality copy. I have bought a wedge AXA set from "allindustrial tool" out of Calif and their screws are decent. They are on Ebay also. Their pricing is close to CDCO also.

I have a Yuasa toolpost on one of my smaller lathes. It's as nice as any Aloris or Dorian I've used.

+1 on avoiding Phase II, I bought a Phase II holder by mistake once. It gets the job done I guess, but I try not to use it, it's very roughly made.

While I would also give a +1 for Aloris over phase 2, I think that phase 2 gets a bit of a bad rap. The phase 2 AXA set is $200....the Aloris set is $600. The price difference isn't simply because one is made in the USA. You can't get Aloris quality for $200.

The OP's budget is in the Phase 2, Shars, etc class. Being in Canada, it's likely going to be hard to find used Aloris tool posts on the secondary market, but I could be wrong. I have heard many people say good things about Phase 2. My Phase 2 AXA is still sitting in the wrapper because I found some used Aloris to replace it.

I'm kind of in the same boat as OP. I'm not going to be making super precision parts for a jet engine, so I don't want to spend $600 on a toolpost. Thats half the cost of the lathe itself! I just want a halfway decent one that won't break the bank.

In the Nov/Dec KBC Tools flier, on page 12, is a 6 piece QCTP set that includes the tool post and 5 holders. Looks like Phase II. The 100 series is $188. 200 series is $214. Might be worth a look for those of you looking for a modest priced quick change.

Marc

In the Nov/Dec KBC Tools flier, on page 12, is a 6 piece QCTP set that includes the tool post and 5 holders. Looks like Phase II. The 100 series is $188. 200 series is $214. Might be worth a look for those of you looking for a modest priced quick change.

Marc

Is KBC a reputable dealer? Making their own tools? Or are they most likely just rebranding an import QCTP?

All the talk about the quality of a QCTP is very true. You pay more and can get a better quality... But noticing the quality can be hard to see for the noob.

Everyday and always a wedge style is better than a post. After that it will take experience to tell the difference between a $125 set and a $600 set. If you buy the cheap set and at a latter time start noticing the short comings you can always up grade.

If you buy the $600 set and lose interest the next guy that buys your lathe will get a better deal...

It can be hard as a noob to spend the money wisely...

Is KBC a reputable dealer? Making their own tools? Or are they most likely just rebranding an import QCTP?

KBC is a very fine dealer, with branches in Michigan, Illinois, and California. I buy from them reguarly. They sell all kinds of everything. They have house as well as name brands. Check them out. I have no affiliation.

Marc

If you are not going to get an Aloris, then it really doesn't matter what rebranded egg noodle factory clone you get.

Phase II is head and shoulders above the generic wedge post I had. If you get a specific recommendation about a generic toolpost from a specific vendor, then consider that, but do not just buy a generic without a recommendation. Been there, done that.

Everyday and always a wedge style is better than a post.

Comparing the same brand, I would agree, but my Phase II piston was better than the generic wedge I had.

Steve

Ph2 used to be good.the one I bought 10 years ago was quite nice.

The 2nd one I bought was noticeably sloppier, but still OK enough.

The last one I bought I gave away, it was that bad.

Maybe it was a dud, but I wouldn't pay more just for it to say ph2 on the side.

My buddy bought a Shars one a couple months ago,and it was about like my first ph2.

Good chance the CDCOnone is OK too but I have not seen one to say.

Back