What's new
What's new

What size Collets and ive Center for a 10R

FlyinChip

Aluminum
hi all, my "new" 1947 SB Heavy 10R (smaller spindle) lacks a collet set up or a live center, I'm new at this so what sizes of those should I be
looking for?

I did do a search but couldnt find this out. maybe my searching is not good, I used "collet size 10r" in this forum.

thanks

It is likely Morse taper 3.

You use an adapter to go from MT3 to 3C to use collets.

You can use MT3 collets, but they are not self-releasing so can be a pain to use, although they do allow you to go up to 3/4".

The "official" dimensions for the big end of MT3 is 0.9380", so if that's close to the opening in your spindle, it's pretty likely MT3.

Steve

Thanks

I just popped the dead center from the TS and it says #2 M.T. so I guess that means Morse #2. The spindle ID at the back is just over 1"

IMG_20171226_182601 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20171226_182755 - Copy.jpg

not sure you realize it but that has a 1 7/8"x8tpi spindle and you will not find backplates for it.
Yes,The *correct* collets are 2A, and those are hard to find also as is the adapter for them.

If you keep the original spindle learn to thread before you do anything, you may then buy inexpensive 1 1/2"x8 back plates and bore and rethread them.
then if you want collets buy an inexpensive 5C chuck with the 1 1/2"x8 backplate and rethread the plate.

OR swap the spindle for the large bore one.

thanks that helps.

I am new to this so just what exactly is involved in using a collet on this SB? I take off the chuck (gotta figure out how) and then I have a threaded spindle sticking out. what goes on next, an adapter? use a drawbar that threads into that? what pulls on the collet?

sorry, I'm new. I know what collets are for and I know I will want to use them.

just found a youtube video about a "Collet Chuck". is that a better option and would allow using the 5c collets???

just found a youtube video about a "Collet Chuck". is that a better option and would allow using the 5c collets???

The 5C collet chuck is a good choice. The advantage is collet size up to 1-1/8' and the collets are readily available, either new or used on ebay. Also, you can buy lots of stuff that uses 5C collets, like spin indexers and collet blocks, and everything will be standardized on one collet.

In my shop, I have 3AT, 4PN, 5C, B&S7, MT2 and MT3 collets.

I got a 5C collet chuck for my lathe because I am limited to 1/2" collets in the spindle.

Steve

First thing you need to decide is if you are going to keep the small spindle.
if so then learn to use your 4 jaw chuck and thread.

Did you get a 4 jaw chuck with it?

thanks guys.

yes it came with 3 jaw and 4 jaw.

steve, whats a good source for the 5c chuck, and what else is needed besides that and the collets themselves? any downside at all to using a chuck?

Your major limitation is the small bore size through your spindle. So collet use of any size is limited at best. If you use a collet chuck, the set out from the HS limits the available stiffness of an already severely limited stiffness of your lathe. In my mind, there is no value in using collets. Your tooling money is better spent on other accessories. Your TS uses MT2 and your HS uses MT3.

well thats a whole other spin, no collets. I wonder what diameter I could turn at a minumum, using just a chuck?

what other accessories would you think I should prioritize on this new lathe purchase?

Have QC tool post set coming from Shars. Also some center drills (have a chuck) and a carbide insert boring bar (have a project already that needs that) Looking for suggestions on a live center. And a broaching kit for a 1/4" keyway inside a flange )someone once told me can just lock the chuck and push a HSS cutter through).

Also would like to make a milling bracket. That's kind of what I was thinking for the collets as well. To hold the milling cutter.

Your major limitation is the small bore size through your spindle. So collet use of any size is limited at best. If you use a collet chuck, the set out from the HS limits the available stiffness of an already severely limited stiffness of your lathe. In my mind, there is no value in using collets. Your tooling money is better spent on other accessories. Your TS uses MT2 and your HS uses MT3.

well thats a whole other spin, no collets. I wonder what diameter I could turn at a minumum, using just a chuck?

what other accessories would you think I should prioritize on this new lathe purchase?

Have QC tool post set coming from Shars. Also some center drills (have a chuck) and a carbide insert boring bar (have a project already that needs that) Looking for suggestions on a live center. And a broaching kit for a 1/4" keyway inside a flange )someone once told me can just lock the chuck and push a HSS cutter through).

Also would like to make a milling bracket. That's kind of what I was thinking for the collets as well. To hold the milling cutter.

On the standard SB 6" 3 jaw chuck or 6" 4 jaw both will hold down to less than an 1/8". Your milling capability on your lathe is also extremely work size limited. If you wish to mill, get a BP

On the standard SB 6" 3 jaw chuck or 6" 4 jaw both will hold down to less than an 1/8". Your milling capability on your lathe is also extremely work size limited. If you wish to mill, get a BP

The 1/8" (again I'm new at this) is surprising, why use collets at all then, for faster set up speed or something?

As to milling, I know the size is limited but I also have very limited space, and no money for a decent mill anyway. I can still mill small brackets and whatnot on the lathe.

The 1/8" (again I'm new at this) is surprising, why use collets at all then, for faster set up speed or something?

As to milling, I know the size is limited but I also have very limited space, and no money for a decent mill anyway. I can still mill small brackets and whatnot on the lathe.

Collets are typically used in a production environment. As you are just starting out in this hobby, you should realize that the base machine represents typically 50% of the investment or less. The rest is spent on tooling and accessories. So,it is very important you get the machine choice right the first time or you end up wasting a lot of your hard earned dime. This hobby is very addicting. Milling attachments for your lathe cost almost as much as a used BP. You are far better off saving your money and buying the right machine the first time.

Appreciate it Steve. I wanted a SB heavy 10 after looking at all the other choices. I know that I have to accessorize it which is why I started this topic.

As to milling on it, basically it looks like some basic smallish milling can happen with an angle adapter to use the compound as a Z axis. FAR cheaper than buying a biridgeport, which I have zero space or money for.

Here's an example of what I'm thinking, for that:

Easy Lathe Milling Attachment - YouTube

Sure you can do some light milling in the lathe, I did some when I had a milling attachment for my 10 inch..
As for the collets look into a 6 jaw chuck with adjust-a-true, not very cheep though..

Sure you can do some light milling in the lathe, I did some when I had a milling attachment for my 10 inch..
As for the collets look into a 6 jaw chuck with adjust-a-true, not very cheep though..

thanks, I just watched an adjusta-tru video on youtube. you right too much $$$ tho.

but what is a "collet chuck" that someone mentioned? I cant seem to find those...

and btw, collets became a lower priority when it was mentioned above that I can work down to 1/8" (!) without one. just though I needed them, and especially to hold a milling cutter. now I wonder if I just dial in the cutter into the 4 jaw would that be good enough for some nonprecision milling.

the store bought milling attachments are pricey, and it was suggested to look for a used bridgeport. I dont have room (or $$) for one but I looked around and found some that were cheaper than I would have expected. One non-BP was only $1100 but who knows the condition. Thats a purchase for for later, dont even have this Heavy 10 back together yet. And with this unbelievable cold snap, I aint going out there for a while!

Back