What's new
What's new

What size quick change tool post?

dbosco002

Aluminum
What size would you recomend for a sbl 13? I am sure I would be getting something like the phaseII from enco but i don't know what I should buy.

Also do you have to have it machined to fit your lathe or are all lathes alike?

From the Aloris site:

FAQ

What size Aloris Quick Change Tool Post do I need for my Lathe?

The required tool post size is a function of the swing of the lathe, and the center height dimension. The center height is the distance from the top of the compound to the centerline of the spindle. There is a chart in the middle of the Aloris catalog with tool post recommendations for most common makes and models. If you have any questions call us and we will recommend the proper tool post for your lathe.

Go to the Aloris site: www.aloris.com

download the catalog, then look at the dimensions of the different size toolposts. Measure your lathe from center to top of compound mount, then select the size that is best for you.

Because I'm a cheapskate....I bought a 100 series PhaseII piston type for my sb 13.
I was fully expecting that I would have to shim it up a bit, and I did.....but it works fine.
You will have to machine the T-nut as mentioned above.
Technically I believe the 200 series are the correct size for a 13" lathe.

Yeah, I just looked at aloris and they recomended the BXA (200). What do you think of the PhaseII quality? would it be worth the extra cash to buy the aloris? I am thinking no but looking for some imput.

As an interesting bit of trivia, are you aware that the Dorian toolpost was developed by a gentleman named "Nairod"?

Paula

>named "Nairod"

Paula,

Was it you that posted the same thing about Aloris == Sirola?

Very odd that they both would have done that! And neither are names that I've ever heard of (not that that's worth much!).

Not doubting your credibility, btw!

Ken

Oh, maybe that's it.

Never mind...
redface.gif

I have a AXA on the Heavy 10 but I would recommend a BXA for a 13 inch.

I use Aloris brand quickchanges. I tried Phase 2 but didn't like the quality.

I am a fan of the KDK, I can move the smaller and larger tool holders from machine to machine on my different size posts. I have the 0 on my 10" and the 100 on my 13. Really nice low profile. I am not a fan of Phase II tools. T&O makes a nice Aloris type in the US for a little less. I would use a block of steel until I was ready to spend the money. You will find your hands on this almost as much as the hand wheels.

Have fun,

Reed

"I tried Phase 2 but didn't like the quality."

There are quite a few Aloris knock-offs, and the quality DOES vary.

I, also, have not been overly impressed by Phase II's quality.

They have had several significant quality issues, thankfully now resolved, which are as innocuous as bad setscrews for the holders, and defective assembly (cross-threading) of the "piston" to its cam follower.

Grainger once had a Aloris knock-offs, both "piston" and "wedge" type, in all Aloris' sizes.

The "wedge" type is, of course, Mr. Sirola's (his company's name is his family's name, spelled backwards) significant improvement over his original QCTP, still manufactured today, in the larger sizes (CA, etcetera).

I purchased one of Grainger's close-outs, an AXA size, and I was much impressed by its quality ... significantly higher than Phase II, but, obviously, not as high as Aloris'.

I use Aloris on my "toolroom" lathes, and knock-offs on my "engine" lathes.

Thankfully, most knock-off holders are interchangeable with the name-brand (Aloris, Dorian, etcetera) holders.

And, there are some knock-off holders for which the original manufacturer has no equivalent.

"The required tool post size is a function of the swing of the lathe, and the center height dimension."

It is a function ... only ... of the center-center to top-of-compound distance, and the largest tool you intend to use.

All the holders will go down to the top of the compound, but on, say, a 10" lathe, and a 1/2" tool, there may be a slight interference, depending upon the lathe brand and model, which prevents the tool from reaching the true center.

An AXA is actually too tall, all things considered, for a Logan 10" lathe with a 1/2" tool, but an AXA is perfectly fine with a smaller tool.

For a 1/2" tool, 3/32" must be ground from the underside of the holders, thereby leaving 3/64" clearance from the underside of the holder to the top if the compound.

Other lathes will have similar issues, so the manufacturer's guide is just that ... a guide, and not an absolute.

I found a very nice third-party holder, one which accepts generic triangular inserts, and which is presently available only in AXA size, but this, also, requires 3/32" to be ground from the underside in order to be on center.

So, the determinants are: center height, and tool dimension.

Normally, this will not become an issue unless one intends to use the maximum size tool which the holder can possibly accommodate ... such as 1/2" tools in an AXA system.

Looks like I may be saving my money for a while so I can afford a beter quality quick change tool post. I have to look into the Dorian and T&O brands.

Cost is a big thing to me and just knowing I have to spend more to get a quick change tool post than I spent on the lathe kinda hurts.

my question to you guys.. Is the quality that much different that it will effect my work?

Its routine for tooling to cost at least as much as the lathe. I started with an el-cheapo no-name AXA size from Ebay, used a Phase II BXA, and finally a Dorian BXA. You pretty much get the quality you pay for.

The Dorian and Aloris BXA toolholders I have are considerably more massive than the Phase II BXA holders.

But all the posts will hold the toolholders. The nicer ones work more smoothly, better grade of fasteners, toolholders lock with greater rigidity and don't present little snafu's like the center column unscrewing when you loosen the nut holding down the toolpost- which my el-cheapo post did.

But affect on the work is most likely incidental for the most part; cheap setscrews that wallow out after a couple uses, toolholders that don't lock up solid and so move a little in a cut, etc. The Dorian post has o-rings around the column to keep out debris & coolant, so it won't rust inside the post. The Phase II and el-cheapo posts didn't.

In my view, the toolpost is critically important. Behind the cutting tool itself its the most important part of the setup, putting quality where its important helps you work better & more effectively. Its probably more important to spend the $$$ on a toolpost you use nearly all the time vs a fancy chuck that you might use every now & again. But to each their own.

Greg

dbosco,
I only have the Phase II and have no way to compare to another brand.
I don't do production work so I can't justify a $800 toolpost.

I make batches of 20 parts at a time for a gunsmith friend and the low cost phase II works fine.
I think phase II's quality is better than it used to be also. If you buy one from someone that will take it back if you don't like it that might be one way to go.

Back