What's new
What's new

What size spanner bit to remove cross and compound slide retaining nut?

Domodude17

Aluminum
I'm talking about the nut on the end of the handles, which is split. Does anyone know what size bit i'll need to get to take these off? Thanks!

P.S. and i'll probably be needing a replacement one as well :mad5:

I'm talking about the nut on the end of the handles, which is split. Does anyone know what size bit i'll need to get to take these off? Thanks!

P.S. and i'll probably be needing a replacement one as well :mad5:

Split? If I understand you right, you are talking about the half moon shaped retaining nut?
If so, it's not split, its just a normal slotted head screw but tapped all through. I filed a a small "concave" in the center of a slotted head screwdriver to clear the center of the nut and locate in the nut's slot. Tubalcain has a video on youtube for making new ones.

I suppose in your mind every lathe ever built has the same size????? What might you be working on?

Sorry about that, I was apparently already asleep when I made this post! It is a 1941 South Bend 9A with a normal cross slide. Christian James has it right, it looks like two half moons.

I took a large screwdriver and cut away the center part of the blade, just enough to clear the OD of the thread.

Back