What's new
What's new

What is a Southbend model A worth?

fastolds

Hot Rolled
I have a southbend model A I am considering selling because of the lack of room. I bought it from a friend of mine that had it in his basement. He never used it in the 10 years it's been there. It had to come out in pieces so I got it home and thats as far as I got. I have a 4 jaw chuck, drill chuck, material for a new belt and who knows what else in the boxes. I hate to sell it but when I get my machining center theres no room!!!
I would put a picture on here but haven't tried to do that yet.

I agree that you can maximize your return by parting it out.

ON THE OTHER HAND, there are many Home Shop Machinists (HSMs) that would appreciate the opportunity to purchase a complete Model A even in pieces. I purchased mine 5 years or so ago for $500 so it's at least worth that if it can be made to run, the bed is usable and the chucks work.

Post some pictures and we can help with either getting it back together or at least an inventory of parts.

Ryan

It's definately worth puting back together. It's not in 20 pieces. The lathe was unbolted from the cabinet,guards were removed, motor mount removed and things of that nature. I'm not sure how to post pics on here.

If anyone is interested in my 1960 Southbend model A 9" lathe let me know. Send me a line and I will forward a picture. Best offer

I watched EBay prices on SB 9A's for about 6 months before finally buying mine. They ranged from about $350 for very rough-looking machines to over $1000 for fully restored machines with tooling (2 chucks, toolholders, bits, drill chuck, steady rest, collets, etc).

Hope this helps,
Jeff Greenblatt

Back