What's new
What's new

What Thickness Felt for 9A ?

sometoyotaguy

Plastic
All of the felt in my 9A needs to be replaced. It's an underdrive model with a QC gearbox. Sorry if this is beat to death, but I couldn't find details.

As best as I can tell Mc-Master Carr is the place to buy F1 felt, but I'm not sure what sizes I need.
I've dug around for a few hours here, and on other sites, but still haven't come up with solid answers.
1/8, 3/8 and 3/16 rope have come up in a few threads, but I'm not sure if those are correct.

I know there is a kit on ebay for around $40, but if I can make my own for half the price, I would rather do that.

Thanks!

There are a lot of little pieces in a lot of places.
What were you going to work on?
For instance in order to re-felt the gearbox you need to tear it down completely, and it has 2 different shapes (mostly flat strips with a few little round bit thrown in for good measure).
the apron has about 2 or 3 different sizes in it (if I remember correctly) so it is hard to just get one to cover everything, and there is one piece that you would need to cut out of a big thin flat sheet.
If you are just talking about the headstock felts they are round plugs about 1/4" in diameter and 1/2" long. But there are 2 kinds of felt in there.

If you are going to disassemble it and do the whole lathe then definitely just buy the kit.
If nothing else it will save you a ton of time fussing around trimming each little piece to fit right.
And it has the headstock felts made correctly.
And it has a pre-cut gasket for the apron.
$40 is not much really if you are going to put 80 hours into a total re-felt.

I have to agree with the suggestion to buy the felts online - get the kit that includes the book. I am in the middle right now of the QC gearbox on a 9A and I am very thankful for the kit/book combo. There are a lot of little holes and the book is pretty clear on what is supposed to go where, especially since not all the holes were originally supposed to get felts. When I pulled my gearbox apart, there was enough gunk (not too much mind you) it was hard to know which had felts where. Also, the guys and gals who sell the kits (suggested by this forum via search) that I've gotten so far have been A+ people.

I was starting with the QC gear box, but the rest of the lathe needs some cleaning. I don't think it's seen oil in about 10 years, and wipers are pretty bad. Someone crashed the gears, and I'm working on getting them replaced. It looks like I'll be ordering the set from ebay.

Thanks, guys.

Back