What's new
What's new

Whats it worth?

imwilliam

Plastic
I'm looking for some ideas about what we should ask for an older South Bend lathe.

It's a manual lathe and doesn't have any readouts. As I recall it can turn 110 inches between centers. I'd consider it's condition to be good. We'll include all the tooling we have for it which is as follows:

Three jaw chuck
Four jaw chuck
Small face plate
Large face plate
A couple of steady rests
Assorted tool holders (and the tool post, which I think is an Aloris)
Assorted bits, including some insert holders.
Assorted large drills, reamers ect.
Milling attachment if someone is interested in it.

We haven't used the lathe much in the last 10 years, but it's on the floor under power and runs.

I'd like to get some idea of whether there's any demand for these and what price range we should be in. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Billy

Pictures of 17inch Southbend Turnado

Lets see if I can post some pictures:

closeupcarriage.jpg

closeupturnado.jpg

millingattachment.jpg

sideview.jpg

tailstockforward.jpg

Chuck sizes, horsepower ect I'll have to get tomorrow when I get to work. It is three phase.

The bummer about large-ish manual machines is that the population of folks who desire one is much more limited. That naturally depresses the price closer to the smaller machines that populate basements, garages, and work sheds.

Thanks Bob. Thanks mdshunk. 3000, with all of the tooling, it's less than I was thinking, but it is what it is. Somebody will probably have a 1000 in moving costs besides the sales price, so that's something to consider too.

I'd keep it, but it's tough to make money on a machine like that around here; at least relative to other machines even if you keep it busy, I don't really want to spend day after day running the kind of work that type of machine would bring in, I like smaller stuff and in my experience it's not the kind of machine that lends itself to throwing something in every few months or so, you've got to work on it regulary to turn out nice work.

So, I guess it sells for what it sells for, again thanks for the ideas about what range we should be shooting for.

You have a point. That is a lot of stuff with it, I will go up to $4000.00 I used a lathe like that in school It was the best machine we had. I know about the smaller machines being easier to sell. I had a heavy 10 and a Rockwell 14 X 40. I tried to sell the Rockwell since I had the heavy 10 all set up. I did not get a single call on the Rockwell. So I sold the heavy 10, I could have sold it 10 times over. Oh well I really like the Rockwell. Bob

Just to update and to close out this thread:

We sold the lathe and a few other older machines to the same dealer we're buying a new machine from. It will cut down on rigging costs since they'll drop off the new one and pick up the old ones at the same time. Because it's a package deal, it's probably not a perfect indicator, but we ended up getting about 3500 for the lathe.

Thanks again for your help.

Billy

Billy,

That's a nice machine. I like having a machine like that in the shop. Around this place it might get used a few times a year but when it does it's a god send. Funny how a machine that 45 years ago was indispensable in the average shop has become a boat anchor in most today. I would love to know what that machine cost new at the time of sale.

Glad you got some decent money for it and I'm sure the dealer will find a shop who needs it.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Back