What's new
What's new

WIDE NINE QCGB question

tommy1010

Stainless
This question is for the South Bend experts. I have a wide nine model C in like new condition. 4 1/2 bed with many original accessories.
I have a quick change gear box that was part of a wide nine model A. The box will fit right on my bed. The bed has the third hole already in the bed. Someday I may find an apron so I have power cross feed if I want.
The QCGB threading chart starts at 2 threads per inch. So finally my question. Is there a gearing combination to feed the QCGB that would double the feeds so that 2 threads per inch becomes 4 threads per inch, etc, ect?
This would allow to have a finer feed for turning. Did anyone on this forum ever do such a thing on a wide nine set up? I understand from searches on here that the 2 thread gear box was replaced with the 4 thread gearbox because of gear breakage. Did they just change the feed gears for the gear box or changed the gearbox internals entirely?
One other thing is that the change gears for the model C I have are 16DP. The gears for the 2 thread QCGB (banjo set) are 18 DP. I can buy any combination of 16DP gears to hook up to the spindle.

The single tumbler wide 9 and heavy 10 used 18DP end gears. Early models used a larger stud gear. Later models used a stud gear with half the number of teeth. That is the only change to make the 'slower' gearbox. The 9" workshop also uses 18DP gears, which are widely available, though you will have to enlarge the bore and cut a new keyway.

allan

Back