What's new
What's new

Will parts from a 10K fit on a 9A?

Domodude17

Aluminum
Refurbishing a 9A currently, and i'll be needing to pick up some replacement parts for things that are damaged, worn out, etc. I found out that Grizzly sells replacement parts for the 10K here Shop Tools and Machinery at Grizzly.com

Would I be able to get parts from there that would fit my 9A?

Looking at those drawings at the link it looks like the new 10k's and the old ones don't have much in common.

I'd venture to say that 9a and 10k parts of the same vintage would work but I doubt those new 10k parts would fit a 9A.

ETA: which parts? Upon further inspection it looks like certain things might, but there are other parts that clearly won't. Check with Ted, he has a lot of parts: [email protected]

Looking at those parts diagrams, they look like they're for the "New" 10K being marketed by Grizzly. That lathe has absolutely nothing in common with any of the "old" South Bend. Nothing from that 10K will fit your 9" South Bend.

A lot of the parts from vintage 9" and 10K machines are the same. However, the head stock, tail stock and compound (the base/riser, not the moving part with the micrometer screw)from the 10K will NOT fit the 9" machine, pretty much everything else is interchangeable - bed, gearbox and internals, apron and internals, saddle, apron etc.

+1 on contacting Ted (SBLatheman). I've bought a number of parts from him. He is quite helpful and there's a good chance he'll have what you need.

Back