What's new
What's new

Threading dial bolt

bigmac

Cast Iron
When I got my 10L, the mounting bolt for attaching the threading dial was missing. Am currently using a hex head 5/16"-18 x 3/4" which works fine. However it bugs me that I have to get a different wrench whenever I use it. Does anyone know if the original bolt was a square head which required using the #253 SB wrench? It would probably be similar in appearance to the carriage & banjo lock bolts & would certainly be handier to use. Would like to see a pic or dimensions or, preferably, pick one up. I know it's a minor thing but it would be more convenient & as previously stated, it bugs me. Would appreciate any input. Thanks

My 13" uses a hex head bolt 3/8"-16 x1" which seems the obvious step up. After nearly 70 years I have no idea if it's original, but I don't need to adjust it ever, the dial will swing down into place and stay there fine and likewise swinging it back. Doesn't take much adjustment to find the right friction, in fact I'd say it works over a pretty generous range.

Looks like a hex head here.

My 10K is also 1/4-20 and i use an allen head bolt. It matches with the allen heads in my home made tool post so i only need one wrench...Bob

Not a big deal at all. As I stated, it bugs me. Would also be nice to have an original bolt there or at least one that looks original, not to mention the convenience of using the same wrench on it.
I really wanted to know what an original looks like.
Ed

Back