What's new
What's new

Is it worth it?

blacksmythx

Plastic
This seems to be a South Bend Heavy 10 lathe, 4 foot bed, 1 7/8-8 spindle. What will I need to return it to operation?

Attachments

• rsz_20170601_100822.jpg
    rsz_20170601_100822.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 284
  • rsz_20170601_100855.jpg
    rsz_20170601_100855.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 274
  • rsz_20170601_125541.jpg
    rsz_20170601_125541.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 260
  • rsz_120170602_083126.jpg
    rsz_120170602_083126.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 301
I think I'm missing some gearing on the business end. Where can I find an online diagram that shows what should be there?

Yes there are some missing cogs, but south bend parts are readily available. At times costly, other times, not so much.

I'll shut up now , I have no love for the SBs. ;-)

You're missing the banjo and the gears on it. This one uses a particular two-legged banjo with a slidey gear to get all of the ratios on the gearbox. I think that went away in the early 50s.

I also don't see a tailstock.

Might be worth a root around in the shop, possible the parts are laying around.

I've got a banjo if you can't find one. I think I have all the gears on it as well but a few of them have chipped teeth.

Be aware that lathe didn't ship with a threading dial. You would need to find a dial and drill and tap that apron accordingly.

CalG, thanks for the encouragement. I think.

Ohio Mike, excellent link. Very helpful!

Gadjet73, I think you're right about the banjo assembly. No tailstock, might pay dearly for that. Root around? Is that a remark? Ha!

hsracer201, thanks for the offer I will be contacting you. If I cant't find a dial I understand a grizzly can be adapted.

I also found large diameter spindles on ebay, would that be hard to swap?

Thanks everyone.

Make sure you get a spindle from an older single tumbler model just like that one. If I can see correctly in the pictures it looks like you do not have the kind with bronze bearings and expanders, that spindle just drops right in place. That's a super easy swap provided you match it up exactly.

it does not matter whether the spindle is from a cast or bronze/expander machine.

The spindles will still exchange.

is it worth it?

If you want a very expensive and time consuming project, then YES.

If you want a working machine, NO.

so before you dive in ask yourself do you want to spend your time and money fixing a machine or do you want to make stuff?

If you want to make stuff part that one out and buy a nicer machine...life is short.

I also found large diameter spindles on ebay, would that be hard to swap?

Your photo of the spindle looks like a 2 1/4-8 to me..am I wrong?

I got a 10L in nearly identical condition for free. I got it because I wanted to learn a bit about lathe rebuilding, and I had other machines to make repair parts with. I'll tell you, there is nothing more expensive than a cheap lathe. I expect you will spend $600+ on missing gears, covers, tailstock, etc. You'll spend more if something is broken.

allan

1 7/8-8 spindle, 1 inch bore. I don't have a chuck either. I think I have all the covers but will also need a threading dial.

I want to make stuff. The draw to this machine is that this seems to be one of the favorites for gunsmiths. Short spindle length with adequate bore size and sufficient bed length. I'm not a gunsmith or a machinist.

Slim pickin's down here for used machines, hard to find suitable equipment.

...life is short

I got a 10L in nearly identical condition for free. I got it because I wanted to learn a bit about lathe rebuilding, and I had other machines to make repair parts with. I'll tell you, there is nothing more expensive than a cheap lathe. I expect you will spend $600+ on missing gears, covers, tailstock, etc. You'll spend more if something is broken.

allan

I'm learning this as I type...just bought a set of NOS half nuts...trying to get a spindle up to going back together...it just all takes time and $$$s.

I really feel the amount you pay for the lathe can be irrelevant, since you will invest way more in time and parts that it would make the initial investment irrelevant. I'm fine with that as I enjoy putting it together myself, and knowing they are right. Others don't care for that aspect, and if so a non-working lathe is not the best place to start. But we all have to start somewhere, and if it's worth fixing up, do it. Otherwise think about selling it to someone that is worth investing the time and $$$s. My $0.02.

yeah, the parts add up quick. I still feel I got a good deal on mine, but the parts to make it right again were half what I paid for the whole thing. The funny part, I could have taken it apart and sold it for considerably more than I could sell the complete running machine for.

Back