What's new
What's new

WTB: Drill press table

Cosnar16

Cast Iron
The finishing piece of my 14" drill press restoration is the table. Mine was to far beyond repair and I am in need of a replacement. Color, grime, dirt, etc. don't matter as long as the table is in good shape. Or if possible could someone recommend a used machinery/antique dealer near central MA I could contact to see if they have one.
Thanks
-Eric

If you've got a round table, a faceplate for a lathe may be made to work, I saw a gentleman on YouTube do a sibley camelback in this way, it came out rather nicely and no one would be the wiser. Just a suggestion to broaden your options, good luck with your search.

If it's just seriously scarred from careless use, consider making a new top to fit on top (countersink the screws if metal, or make it a press fit over the existing table if wood, ply, MDF, etc. --very easy to do with strips of wood and a brad nailer). Add rails, t-slots, or add just a sheet to suit.

Don't know what 14" drill press you have -- but most have tables that can actually be improved in terms of functionality.

If there are just some holes in a cast iron table, I've had good luck mixing cast iron chips (I save 'em when band sawing) to JB Weld as a filler. Take a diamond stone or equivalent (fly cut, carefully sand, etc.) to the top after it cures and the bits of cast iron reflect light a bit like the original cast iron. If there are serious holes, you can use fiberglass tape, metal mesh, masking tape etc. to help hold the epoxy/cast iron chips in place before and after it cures.

The problem with trying to find a nice condition drill press table is that if the table is still in mint shape, the rest of the drill press likely is as well. Still, good luck in finding one.

...I've had good luck mixing cast iron chips (I save 'em when band sawing) to JB Weld as a filler.

Go see your mechanic and get a cup of chips out of the brake lathe. Nice fine chips. Also good for demonstrating lines of magnetic force.

Steve

I have an extra table that came with my Wilton DP when I bought it used. The table is in great shape, but has no collar by which to attach it to your DP's post, although it does have a nice flat face and bolt hole that might fit up to your collar.

If you're interested, DM me and I'll take photos when I get home tonight.

Best,

Tom

Back