What's new
What's new

WTB: heavy 10 cross feed bushing for dial

That happened to me about 25 years ago. I feel your pain. If you are not able to find one ( unlikely, but possible ), lock your cross slide, and use the compound for adjustments to the tool in effort to turn a new one. The original was CI, but it really does not need to be. Good luck.

In your photo I can't read the scale. Measure the left end bushing length, of the two versions one is shorter, 21/32 one is longer 25/32. the right side to the thread ends are basically the same length. I have both, but they both have somewhat chewed up threads.
Steve

I find myself in the same situation. The part seems to have broken because the oiler grub screw above blocked it. I'm looking for the version with the 25/32 long bushing.
The machine is a small dial SB heavy 10 with metric graduations I recently acquired together with a Van Norman 6.
IMG_0079.jpg

Mine has been repaired sometime in the past and I think I may attempt to make a new one. Does anybody have a drawing or know what the threads are? Mine is a large dial.

The reason I broke mine was the oil holes didn't line up and I over tightened it and the threads were ruff from the oil screw digging it to the threads. On my replacement I added some shims so the oil holes would line up.

You do not want the holes to line up.

Think about the design...the hole in the bushing is in a relief groove, once that bushing is screwed into the saddle it becomes a reservoir.

If the holes lined up not only would debris be prone to fall straight down onto the screw shaft but the reservoir would be defeated too.

IMO the *ideal* position for the bushing hole to end up is *somewhere* between the 4 and 8 o'clock positions since debris would tend to wash past the hole but still retain the reservoir function...but that's just me.

Thanks for the inspiration

That happened to me about 25 years ago. I feel your pain. If you are not able to find one ( unlikely, but possible ), lock your cross slide, and use the compound for adjustments to the tool in effort to turn a new one. The original was CI, but it really does not need to be. Good luck.

I was feeling that pain, too. Now it is all better with a new steel "bushing". I'll just keep it oiled well :)

Back