What's new
What's new

WTB South Bend 10k bed turret

abourgeois

Plastic
I have a job that requires a bed turret. Would anyone have one for sale? I've been watching ebay and nothing so far. If it needs some tlc that's fine as long as it's not just a parts piece. Thanks in advance, regards Alex

If there is a way to easily raise a 9" bed turret to match a 10K, I have one for sale.
RichD, Canton, Ga 30114

After looking at the 1963 south bend catalog on Steve wells site there is a difference in part numbers. CL1611N for a 9" and CL1611K for a 10k. I know the heavy ten tailstock base is wider than the 10k. There are about 3 on ebay right now for a heavy ten.

I would be inclined to think the 9" would be too low for use on a 10k or why would south bend put out two different part numbers?
Regards, Alex

After looking at the 1963 south bend catalog on Steve wells site there is a difference in part numbers. CL1611N for a 9" and CL1611K for a 10k. I know the heavy ten tailstock base is wider than the 10k. There are about 3 on ebay right now for a heavy ten.

I would be inclined to think the 9" would be too low for use on a 10k or why would south bend put out two different part numbers?
Regards, Alex

Yes, the height is a little different, but you can shim it to get to center. I think the width should be the same.

Not sure what catalog you're looking at, but in the 1952 catalog you might notice they didn't offer a turret lathe with a 10k/light-ten. So, while the catalog number is there for the bed turret, you might have a hard time finding one as it would have needed to be ordered separately. I think I saw a 10k with a bed turret on ebay not long ago, so maybe they did offer them.

I do have 2 bed turrets, one 9" and one Heavy 10, but keeping them with my lathes.

Traditional tools I agree with you, I haven't seen a factory 10k offered as a turret lathe as per the catalogs but pg 54 of the year 1952 catalog 5205 and also pg 44 of the 1963 catalog 3601. In both catalogs the bed turrets were optional accessories. In catalog 3601 pg 46 are listed conversion kits to change a regular lathe to turret lathe. I have seen them on ebay in the past two years since I got mine I just didn't need one then. I also searched the site for listings and they had some in 2013. Regards, Alex

I am on the same witch hunt. Think I am going to shim up my 9" turret for my 10K. Its easier to find a 9" lathe with a turret then it is to find a 10k turret. Good luck.

Back