What's new
What's new

WTB: South Bend Heavy 10 - LATE Model (Seller SCAMMED Me!)

bradjacob

Titanium
So the story goes like this:

I messaged an eBay seller (of NOS S.B. parts) asking if he knew of anyone selling a heavy-10. He said he had a "mint" one in his garage. After a few scheduled times, cancellations and reschedules, I got to go to his place and look at it.

My GOD it was is fantastic, HARDLY used condition. Like the entire machine... So tight, no wear on anything. Gears, all fresh. Even the undercarriage looked like it was wired up yesterday. The paint has some chips, but whatever... The machine is pristine - the best SB I've ever seen in my life. :eek::eek:

The seller shook my hand and said we had a deal. $3K cash. Wouldn't take a deposit. But reassure me "the machine is yours, it's been sitting here, not advertised - it's yours". That was last Wed. Supposed to pick it up on Sat. Friday we touched base and Sat, became Sun. On Sat, I got the call, for him cancelling. Every last option I threw at him (Sunday morn, sunday night, during the week, etc, etc) he wouldn't go for. Now he won't return my calls. I even left a V.M. message offering $700 MORE to the price - and nothing. :angry::mad5:

What a huge let down, I'm still trying to come to grips with :(:(:(

Anyway - if anyone has a full cabinet model Heavy-10 they want to sell, then I want to talk to you. Obviously, it's gotta somewhat close to PA. If anyone knows of anyone who has one and maybe would want to sell, please let me know.

I'll be busy crying while I get over it :bawling::bawling:

Last edited:
If it's any consolation, it doesn't have the cam lock spindle nose that was standard by the time this machine was built (1982, per s/n 21815). It has the threaded spindle nose that became available as an option once the D1-4" nose became standard.
David

I wonder if the cash laying on the pan was included...

In all seriousness, I am sorry it did not work out. I look on eBay quite a bit, I think I know who the seller is..

Would you consider expanding your search?

Marc

Brad,

That story sucks!!!

As a person who has bought a number of used machines, this unfortunately does happen from time to time, and I think most all of us have been on some wild goose chases through craigslist or ebay, I know I have. Less so on ebay, but I have contacted sellers offline and have bought some stuff that wasn't listed on ebay, so in that case it worked out...but I have a number of wild goose chases under my belt through craigslist. :(

Makes one realize that until the machine is in your possession, it ain't a done deal.

fortunately,the seller would not take a deposit. So you're only out the time. in that respect, it is not a scam. Although the seller should keep his word, he does have the right to change his mind, since there is no deposit. But the seller did have a moral obligation to tell you that he had changed his mind, instead of wasting your time. If he had taken a deposit, it would be another matter. This one didn't actually git away, it just nibbled at the hook a little bit. Consider yourself lucky that he didn't take a deposit.

Stay safe and have fun. And I hope you find a good deal soon.

Joe.

yeah, at least you didn't lose cash in addition to your time. Sucks it didn't work out, appears to have been a nice machine. That serial number is odd though.

"The seller shook my hand and said we had a deal. $3K cash."

Rule one: bring cash.

Rule two, once paid for, remove the headstock and any other easily transported items, while you
go back for the truck.

If you are really serious, you would expand your search to encompass at least a thousand mile radius. I drove out to Long Island, New York from western Wisconsin to get a 10L lathe such as you described, which was certainly not in the condition that you want. But being it has a hardened bed and a cam-lock spindle, and advertising for upgrading parts on Practical Machinist, it eventually equaled the one that you described. It would involve you getting a two wheel trailer and a couple days of your time to get it home.

Don't travel on the interstate tollways with your trailer, as you will pay double what your car costs. You can travel federal highways without paying toll, most of those are 4 lane, too.

Sorry, my lathe is not for sale.

I sold a South Bend 9 inch lathe when I moved {wish I had it back} buyer paid me and removed the small lighter parts and came back
on a Saturday with a truck and his son and got the bed and heavy parts.

If you didn't lose money, weren't scammed

If you saw it and liked it, why didn't you pay and take it with you ?

Craigslist is a huge PITA
Most folks don't' show up.

I expect that sellers stack up possible buyers until one shows up with money.

What happened to the lathes you had ?
Why not just keep some of those ?

I just picked one up as a project to work on. I sent you a PM about it. If you are interested in it let me know.

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the info and comments. This group is second to NONE!

So here's the good news. I bought one - a good one.. And will create a nice thread on it. Stay tuned.

Back