What's new
What's new

WTB: spindle gear for heavy 10

Brandenberger

Hot Rolled
Hi,

Looking for an unworn pt30r1 spindle gear for heavy 10.

I'm trying to conquer gear noise, and having replaced the twin
Gears now, the spindle gear is the prime suspect! I've tried the
various lubricants and techniques people have suggested in prior
Threads.

Thanks!

Phil

You’re likely chasing ghosts trying to get rid of geartrain noise. These lathes were noisy when they were brand new. Just the nature of straight spur gears that aren’t submerged in oil.

Is your spindle gear visibly worn so much that you’re concerned it’s abnormal?

You’re likely chasing ghosts trying to get rid of geartrain noise. These lathes were noisy when they were brand new. Just the nature of straight spur gears that aren’t submerged in oil.

Is your spindle gear visibly worn so much that you’re concerned it’s abnormal?
Thomas is right
Find someone else with the same or similar lathe and compare sound.
Mechanic stethoscope is so good for finding source of sound

Hi,
I haven't hear anyone else's heavy 10 machine... what I did do was lower the banjo and the entire lower gear train and quick change gears are all much quieter than when the reversing gears are engaged. I even pulled off everything but the twin gears and it is still 80% as noisy. If I leave on only one of the twin gears (so just one and the spindle gear) still noisy.

In contrast, as a university shop I used a south bend 13 that was very quiet. It was well maintained but still a 1960's machine. Maybe that's not a good reference but that is what I'm hoping for in eventual noise level.

Thanks
Phil

Before you do Anything...often the real source is the detent holes for the reverser...time can wallow the holes a bit and allow the whole reverser assembly to rattle about....does the sound change when you apply hand pressure to the reverser lever??

Before you do Anything...often the real source is the detent holes for the reverser...time can wallow the holes a bit and allow the whole reverser assembly to rattle about....does the sound change when you apply hand pressure to the reverser lever??

Just tried that, thanks for the suggestion! The detention is tight and pressure in any direction doesn't change the sound.

Phil

Thomas is right
Find someone else with the same or similar lathe and compare sound.
Mechanic stethoscope is so good for finding source of sound

Here's a picture of the gears.

Comparing the new twin gear mesh to the mesh of one of the twin to the spindle there's definitely some wear but I can't say
if it is enough to be abnormal.

I'll try out a stethoscope, thanks!
IMG_1320.jpgIMG_1321.jpg

Hi,
I haven't hear anyone else's heavy 10 machine... what I did do was lower the banjo and the entire lower gear train and quick change gears are all much quieter than when the reversing gears are engaged. I even pulled off everything but the twin gears and it is still 80% as noisy. If I leave on only one of the twin gears (so just one and the spindle gear) still noisy.

In contrast, as a university shop I used a south bend 13 that was very quiet. It was well maintained but still a 1960's machine. Maybe that's not a good reference but that is what I'm hoping for in eventual noise level.

Thanks
Phil

My guess is that your forward gear is worn. If the noise is that bad, try changing the positions of the forward/reverse gears. Since the reverse gear usually gets much less useage, thus less wear, it should quiet down your noise. This will give you time to either find, or make a new forward (now reverse) gear to put on your machine. Your machine is from the 40's to early 50's.

You might also want to try brushing your teeth. Find particles can get in the teeth making meshing more difficult.

Make sure gears are not bottoming out. They mesh but don't bottom out

Ok, gears/mesh look pretty good. IF you are really serious.....

Ask the dude that made the new gears if he will make you one 28T idler out of Nylatron(bronze bushed)or find someone who will.

Replace the new forward position 28T with a Nylatron one...that will quiet thing down considerably....did that on my lathes and they ran almost too quiet.

I tried swapping fwd and reverse, as well as swapping their
shafts and even flipping them. The fwd and reverse
28T gears on there now and in the picture are
new (from grizzly509 on eBay, very nicely made...
no relation to me other that a satisfied customer).

I did also degrease and brush all the gears with one exception...
The spindle gear. I'll do that!

Phil

Before you go spending more money for a spindle gear, look at the relationship between the diameter of the spindle gear and reverse tumblers and those on something like a 9" Workshop (A, B, or C) or a 9 Jr. The 10L runs the first part of the gear train much faster than the 9" lathes and it's going to be noisy no matter what you do. You could slow down the spindle! My 9C and 9 Jr are both virtually silent where my 10L continues to make happy rattling noises.

mllud22, something's been going on with pics...sometimes they don't show up for me at all but others can see them, then sometimes I can see them but others can't....weird!:)

Back