What's new
What's new

WTS 1932 8 inch South Bend Junior

Lineshaft guy

Plastic
I bought this South Bend Junior because it was a scarce model in nice shape but I really have too many lathe projects so I’ve decided to sell it and concentrate on the two Seneca Falls 9 inch Star lathes that I’ve been working on. It is an 8 inch Junior, catalog number 408Z; a 42 inch bed with bench legs and a bench mount countershaft. The serial number is 51649 which indicates that it was manufactured in the summer of 1932. There is no slop in the headstock bearings and the 1 3/8 10 spindle threads are as new. The carriage moves freely throughout its travel as does the cross slide. The bed had a little surface rust at the tailstock end but no nicks or damage and it still shows a lot of the scraping marks through its full length. The original countershaft is included as well as a contemporary Sears Companion single phase 1/3 HP motor that has probably been with it since new. The leather belt between the cone pulleys is there and usable but the V belt primary drive was petrified and you will need a new B section V belt. I am also including the tooling I got with it: a 3 jaw chuck with inside and outside jaws marked D. E. Winton New London Conn, an Armstrong 00L tool holder, and Almond tailstock chuck with a key mounted on a #1 Morse arbor, two #1 Morse dead centers, and a sleeve adapter to use the # 1 Morse center in the headstock. I am asking $850 but would consider trades that involve steady rests, follower rests, milling attachments, overhead countershafts, or foot treadle parts for a 9 inch Seneca Falls. I’d prefer pick up at my place in South Pasadena but I can put it on a pallet and deliver it to a freight terminal in the Los Angeles area if the buyer pays the shipping and my cost of materials. I have a bunch more pictures which I'll send if you PM me.

Attachments

• IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 846
  • IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,773
  • IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 808
  • IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg