What's new
What's new

for your viewing pleasure- the new "heavy" 10

iwananew10K

Diamond
check out how light it is...where`s the heavy part?
I was expecting something along the lines of a reduced swing Eisen 1236GH - which isn`t a bad small machine and can be had decked out with accessories and taper attachment for less $$
or for that matter a PM-1340GT
a little bummed at this one.
here`s to old iron!
Grizzly.com

what strikes me as so weird about the weight is the new 10K(light 10) is listed as 656 lbs, only a 6 lb difference.

given the bed of the new heavy 10 is listed as 1" wider, 2" more between centers, and is geared head I have to wonder if it`s a misprint.

What's the mechanism for driving the gearbox? I don't see enough gears there in the view of the end gearing. Just a premature marketing photo SNAFU, or is there some magic that can't be seen? Also no visible means of reversing the leadscrew -- maybe there's supposed to be a tumbler in that gap? There's no obvious provision for mounting a tumbler.

Regards.

Mike

What's the mechanism for driving the gearbox? I don't see enough gears there in the view of the end gearing. Just a premature marketing photo SNAFU, or is there some magic that can't be seen? Also no visible means of reversing the leadscrew -- maybe there's supposed to be a tumbler in that gap? There's no obvious provision for mounting a tumbler.

Regards.

Mike

Feed reverse is the lowest shifter on the face of the headstock.
The end gears are swung away from the stud gear ??
Ted

It's not a bad looking lathe, but there are a number of other heavier lathes that can be purchased for less money.
As for the weight, the original heavy 10's weren't really very heavy either. However, there are some parts of this lathe that do appear to be smaller than expected, such as the apron. I think I would need to see this in person to get a better feel for the size / proportions.

btm

This is NOT a bad machine. I believe it is made in south Korea by the same company SB used before its demise. It is in fact stiffer, more powerful and faster than the old heavy 10, which was not heavy. I own the 13x40 variant like this marketed by SB before the bankruptcy. They are very similar. There are things I don't like about this machine, like only 8 spindle speeds, low thread count of the QC gearbox and the fact that to oil the idle drive gear, the gear cover needs to be removed. It is a good trade off of lightness, utility and ease of transport. To move, simply unbolt lathe bed from cabinet, easy, even up & down stairs. What I do like is the "T" slotted cross feed. This would allow mounting a tool post on the back side or even mounting a part, so the machine could be used as a mini HBM. Caution, to level the bed during installation, you must use shims under the bed feet between bed and cabinet. Tip............ drill & tap bolt holes in the flange of the bed casting foot. Use those holes to jack the bed square when leveling. Then simply measure any gap and fill with the correct shim pack, remove screws, tighten bolts and your done.

...for sure Maximat Super 11 influenced.
Exact same gearbox plate--even lever position referencing. Exact same speed selections. Exact same proportions (i.e. relatively smaller carriage, handwheels, etc.). Exact same carriage control lever positions and design. Exact same top slide design. Very close to the exact same weight (SB is heavier).

So basically, without any further literature to reference, I will judge this machine on the merits of the EMCO Super 11. That isn't a bad thing. It also means the "low thread count" (focusing on metric here) only represents stock gearing. The EMCO could generate a much wider selection with the substitution of a couple gears on the banjo. The SB also adds 3/16" to the spindle bore.

Would a brand new Super 11 for $7.5k tempt you? I've seen them sell used on PM for as much. Unfortunately, the largest hurdle toward objective judgement is going to be the name. IMO preconceived expectations, historical authenticity and aesthetic originality have a tendency to bias reactions. I'll admit to having taken a while to look at it with a blank slate myself. I really can't be precise in what I was expecting, but the few years' wait certainly raised the stakes. That's a hard benchmark to hit---maybe impossible, as shown by the reaction to the "new" 10K. Then there is the lighting-rod of ethical viewpoints on so closely "copying" a known design---especially when manufactured in Asia.

My end conclusion is that, unlike the OP, I'm not disappointed. The "new" Heavy 10 is clearly differentiated in features and mechanical design from the "new" 10K. The only pause I give is if the same spindle nose fitting could have been retained across the models; however, looking larger to the Heavy 13's, there is compatibility there. That is probably a better business decision, though. A larger work, commercial shop may cross over to buy a smaller, lighter machine for secondary work more readily than a shop focusing on smaller work. Or a hobbyist buy multiple, different models with the same nominal swing. And D1-4 is far and away more common among the two.

I think there is some bad marketing here.

to call it a "modern variation of a South Bend workhorse" does no service.

it`s an obvious Super 11 "clone", and is probably a fine machine. I`m sure some will be thrilled at the opportunity to buy a new Super 11 - I`ve never used one but the guys that have them love them.

it would be far better to call it what it is in this case. "our version of a popular Austrian classic"??

then they could build a machine somewhere between the 10K and the Heavy 13....and call *that* one the "Heavy 10":stirthepot:

Exact same gearbox plate--even lever position referencing. Exact same speed selections. Exact same proportions (i.e. relatively smaller carriage, handwheels, etc.). Exact same carriage control lever positions and design. Exact same top slide design. Very close to the exact same weight (SB is heavier).

So basically, without any further literature to reference, I will judge this machine on the merits of the EMCO Super 11. That isn't a bad thing. It also means the "low thread count" (focusing on metric here) only represents stock gearing. The EMCO could generate a much wider selection with the substitution of a couple gears on the banjo. The SB also adds 3/16" to the spindle bore.

Would a brand new Super 11 for $7.5k tempt you? I've seen them sell used on PM for as much. Unfortunately, the largest hurdle toward objective judgement is going to be the name. IMO preconceived expectations, historical authenticity and aesthetic originality have a tendency to bias reactions. I'll admit to having taken a while to look at it with a blank slate myself. I really can't be precise in what I was expecting, but the few years' wait certainly raised the stakes. That's a hard benchmark to hit---maybe impossible, as shown by the reaction to the "new" 10K. Then there is the lighting-rod of ethical viewpoints on so closely "copying" a known design---especially when manufactured in Asia.

My end conclusion is that, unlike the OP, I'm not disappointed. The "new" Heavy 10 is clearly differentiated in features and mechanical design from the "new" 10K. The only pause I give is if the same spindle nose fitting could have been retained across the models; however, looking larger to the Heavy 13's, there is compatibility there. That is probably a better business decision, though. A larger work, commercial shop may cross over to buy a smaller, lighter machine for secondary work more readily than a shop focusing on smaller work. Or a hobbyist buy multiple, different models with the same nominal swing. And D1-4 is far and away more common among the two.

A good, practical post, although there are many differences between the Maximat 11 and this lathe. The description has been updated this morning. The lathe is made in Taiwan under strict quality control and is a fine machine.

The Old Heavy 10 was a lighter machine than the new version. Yes, there are many lathes out there that are larger, heavier and cheaper than this machine. In fact Grizzly has at least 10 lathes like that. The quality of the new Heavy 10 will speak for itself.

Papagrizzly
I wish you had skipped over the warmup machines and come out with this one first about 5 years ago when I bought my 4003G and later my SB13.
I Have lusted :drool5:after a Maximat 11 or a Heavy 10 this fills the bill.
Will you trade a New Heavy 10 for a slightly used 4003G and a good F-Class Rifle?

Back