What's new
What's new

Way OT Oyster Crackers

SIP6A

Titanium
Is anyone on here from New England and familiar with Westminster Bakers Co. oyster crackers? There something that I always buy a few bags when I'm in New England. I've been out quite a while and a trip to New England isn't in the works. Could somebody when they go to the market pick up a couple of bags and ship them to me? And yes I know that you can get them on Amazon but at 3x the cost. Would rather put a couple dollars in somebody here's pocket

Todd, I think the Cracker Barrel restaurants serve Westminster oyster crackers with their soup. If they have bigger bags in the store section, they will probably be too expensive.

A few years ago, when we were in Windsor, VT, we went in the local supermarket to look for Westminster crackers. They did not sell them. The Quechee Gorge (north of Windsor) antique mall has a store with Cabot cheese (free samples), but I don't recall if they had Westminster crackers.

Larry

The lowest price on Amazon is 75 oz. (4.7 lbs.) for $28.08 free shipping. That is a box of 150 of the little restaurant packets of oyster crackers. Amazon.com: Crackers Oyster Old Fash .5 Oz -Pack of 15: Health & Personal Care

A local restaurant serves Westminster square crackers with soup, a cello packet of two. My wife was excited until she ate one and found it was stale. No preservatives means you don't want old stock and you had better eat it all soon.

Some of the restaurant supply houses like GFS and Sysco may have them.

Larry

Some of the restaurant supply houses like GFS and Sysco may have them.

This all got started last week when I was in one of the last independent restaurants in Toledo, Ohio. I had a bowl of clam chowder and got served a packet of these Westminster crackers. I ask the waitress where they came from and she told me Gordon's food service, there was a Gordon's just up the street so I stopped in and ask. They didn't know what I was talking about. Hence my holy quest for Westminster oyster crackers.

Pretty sure I saw that brand the other day in one of the local markets. If Milland can't find any let me know and I'll send them to you. I can't remember the price or bag size at the moment. They were not the little restaurant sized bags.

This all got started last week when I was in one of the last independent restaurants in Toledo, Ohio. I had a bowl of clam chowder and got served a packet of these Westminster crackers. I ask the waitress where they came from and she told me Gordon's food service, there was a Gordon's just up the street so I stopped in and ask. They didn't know what I was talking about. Hence my holy quest for Westminster oyster crackers.
GFS has their complete catalog online (although last I knew it was a bit hard to read through because it's nothing more than line-items in a catalog, only broken down into a few food groups). If they are in the catalog you can special order them at any GFS retail location, even the one that says they don't know what you're talking about; get the manager etc.

GFS has their complete catalog online (although last I knew it was a bit hard to read through because it's nothing more than line-items in a catalog, only broken down into a few food groups). If they are in the catalog you can special order them at any GFS retail location, even the one that says they don't know what you're talking about; get the manager etc.

How did you get to it? do you have a link? as for getting the manager I was talking to the manager.

Just out of curiosity, Larry, how does one determine that an oyster cracker is stale?
The damn things are lyophilized or something.

-Marty-

You snipped too much of the quote. I wrote, "A local restaurant serves Westminster square crackers with soup, a cello packet of two. My wife was excited until she ate one and found it was stale." And I have had their soup and crackers a few times and my square Westminster crackers were also stale. The soup was really good.

My point is, don't hoard a huge number of crackers unless you can use them soon enough to avoid spoilage. I would have thought a restaurant would sell enough to avoid having their stock get stale. This place is a small chain with a central commissary, so maybe they don't rotate the stock properly in the warehouse.

Larry

Thanks for the link but I have gone through this before. Just because they're listed on a national web site does not meen that all stores in the chain will carry them. I will check out Miers the next time i'm there but I'm not hopeful.

I'm heading to my Shaws tonight, I'll grab some if they have them and pm you. If you can get them locally by special order that's obviously the way to go.

Sip6A: Cracker Barrel restaurants sell them, according to their website. There are some Cracker Barrels in Mi. Priced at $2.29 per 6oz. Not sure if all Cracker Barrels do this. Good luck.

JH

SIP6A, scored you an 8oz box of the crackers. Funny enough, I almost didn't recognize them as the cracker you were looking for, as the bakery name is way down at the bottom of the box, and the dominant text was "Old Cape Cod", as if that was the brand. Exp date 5/18.

I can go back and get another (they only had two on the shelf), or just ship this one to you. Let me know, and what your preferred shipping/mailing method would be, not sure if USPS or UPS would be cheapest to MI.

Back