What's new
What's new

WTB 30 Flash Change Tooling

svs

Hot Rolled
I am looking to buy an assortment of 30 Flash Change end mill holders and/or a collet chuck.

Chances are that if you posses such oddities you know what they look like, but just in case, I'll try to describe them. A 30 flash will look like a cat 30, but will not be drilled and tapped for a pull stud, instead will have a semi-circular notch milled into the OD perpendicular to the long axis. A cam in the mill spindle engages this notch to seat and remove the arbor.

Thanks,
Scott

flash change was started by Devlieg and "elminated" the need for power draw bar on a boring mill. If I may, it will look less like cat and more loke NMTB30. The nothch receives an eccentric cam which clamps the tool in the spindle similar to a camlock chuck. Adapters were made for more than boring mills so that the tooling could be used on jig bores, etc. I know of a source for flash change 40..... Anderson Tooling 800-535-8331. you can try them.

This "concoction" is on a B&S no. 12 double swivel vertical milling attachment that came with a B&S 3B mill I recently picked up. Johnoder estimates it to be from the 30's. In some sense the flash change idea looks pretty innovative, but must not have really caught on.

Willeo, I will give Anderson a try even though you are wrong about the cat/nmtb thing. :D

Scott

I've never seen a 30 flash change, but 40 flash change are tapped for a draw bar, and were made so they would work in a 40 NMTB spindle.

Okay, finally got a picture ready to go.

flash30b.jpg

On the left is a 30 NMTB, on the right a 30 flash. This particular adaptor is to MT 2 and was made by B&S and marked as a no. 37 holder.

Anderson Tooling came up empty, so I guess I'm still looking. May have to come up with a plan to grind a notch in some cat 30 adaptors.

Thanks,
Scott

Back