Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By L Vanice

Thread: WTB: Drill Press Table Lock Handle

Rick_B is online now Hot Rolled

Default WTB: Drill Press Table Lock Handle

This is a second post with more information/options - still looking for a table lock handle for a WT/Rockwell 20" drill press. It is a recessed 12 point hex handle (1" across flats) with a 5/8" through hole. Here is a picture of the belt tensioning handle that is very similar. What I'm looking for does not need to cross drilled for a tension pin.

ideally I could find an OEM handle but I could also use any handle with the recessed hex that fit. I could modify the through hole if the hex fit. An example would be the tension handle shown above.

Another option would be any cast iron handle of a similar shape without the recessed hex and/or thorugh hole, I could use it with some more significant modifications.

Thanks for anything you may have.

Rick

L Vanice is online now Diamond

Should be simple enough to start with a 1 inch 12 point 1/2 inch drive socket, make the 5/8 through hole and weld or silver braze on a crank.

The 12 point blind hole is the only tough part, and a socket has that feature ready to use.

Larry
    toag likes this.

Thanks Larry - I agree that fabrication will most likely be required. Assuming I won't find an original OEM - it would be nice to start with a cast iron handle of the same vintage that I could use with a socket or box end wrench as a starting point.

Rick

thermite is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_B View Post
    Another option .....
    ..used on MY W-T .. is a repurposed cheap black-oxide socket drilled for what HAD been the tilt-steering wheel lever off a 1968 Chrysler Imperial Crown Coupe...

Really - a vintage Bugatti or such it is not. The DP is blind as a bat, won't know or care what you use, so long as it fits your hand and gets the job done.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    ..used on MY W-T .. is a repurposed cheap black-oxide socket drilled for what HAD been the tilt-steering wheel lever off a 1968 Chrysler Imperial Crown Coupe...

Really - a vintage Bugatti or such it is not. The DP is blind as a bat, won't know or care what you use, so long as it fits your hand and gets the job done.

Bill
    While I agree with you in principle Bill - but we all have different perspectives. Mine is that when I spend as much time as I do touching every single
    nut, bolt, spring, washer and casting - cleaning and painting - then to me it is worth the effort to at least try and find the original parts or something close. I very well may have to compromise with some cobbed up solution but for the time being I'm going to continue the hunt for the correct parts.

I do appreciate your perspective but I'm not ready to go down that path yet.

Thanks
    Rick

S_W_Bausch is offline Diamond

Perhaps start with an offset striking wrench and modify as needed?

Wright 1932 1" Offset Striking Face Box Wrench 12pt | eBay

...not ready to go down that path yet.
    One of the 'closer to original' LOOKING easy-to-find items could be one of the several aftermarket replacement BP mill knee-crank handles, then.

'Bout US$ 35 from any of several ebay shops, and doesn't look all that hard to modify at the dog-clutch type hub. Could be a bit longish, but maybe not... If one has no lathe, it wouldn't be the first time the DP itself and some powered work with files made a handle-pin with nice curves to it, so even a too-long crank could be shortened, re-drilled, nicely shaped up, and fitted with fixed or free-spinning handle.

Bill

Ray Behner is offline Titanium

I've got "KIPP" handles like that on my tap disintegrator super structure, but can't find it one their site. Musta quit making them. Maybe give them a call.
    KIPP - Home

Ohio Mike is offline Stainless

It should look like this one from my Kearney-Trecker era W-T 20" Drill. Minds broke on the back side but still works.

w-t-20-inch-table-handle.jpg

I'd email Joe at Plaza Machinery. If anyone has one he will.

Mike - that appears to be exactly what I am looking for although my press is a little newer than yours I think. It is a 1962 vintage shortly after Rockwell bought WT but many of the design features do not appear to have been changed at that point. Thanks for the Plaza machinery reference - I'd completely forgot about them. I'll send Joe an email.

Steve - thanks for that link - that has a lot of possibilites and would probably be a close runner up to an original. Depending on what I hear from Plaza - I may be buying that.

Ray - that's a nice source - even though they don't have anything that seems to match what I need should options 1 and 2 fall apart I can contact them for something that may not be on their website display. Also looks like a good source for other yet to be identified future needs.

Bill - that's definitely a good idea as well - I've got one of those knee handles on my Bridgeport that I took a look at after your suggestion. It definitely has possibilities although would require some significant modification - but not out of the realmof possibility.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and I apologize, specifically to Bill, if my post from yesterday seemed a little snarky - not at all what I intended.

Thanks again
    Rick

...if my post from yesterday seemed a little snarky
    Snarky is fine. We're (mostly) grownups 'ere. I only worry when sumthin' starts sniffin' at the toilet seats..

Bill

Still looking for a table lock handle. In the interim I'm going to use the wright wrench pictured above I think but would still like to get an OEM cast iron handle or a reasonable fascimile.

Thanks
    Rick

HANDLE FOUND

Thanks
    Rick