What's new
What's new

Ammco shaper phenolic bull gears, new production.

partsproduction

Titanium
This is our third run of these, and never a complaint. They are made on specifications derived from several old bull gears, the blanks with threaded steel inserts pressed in place, 2 drilled stop pin holes, phenolic grade C thermo-setting composite. The helical gear teeth were cut by a Portland Oregon gear making shop.

The two stop pins included but not installed, drive them in with a small hammer when you assemble the gear in the shaper.

The price is based also on original replacement prices with inflation calculated, $120 delivered where ever USPS flat rate goes.

I hope to include a photo tomorrow. Thanks,
parts

I remembered I said I'd include photos, here are three;

With the two stop pins, sent with each gear;
IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

Steel inserts duplicating originals pressed in;
IMG_2248.jpg

Thanks Mike. For the record I will put for my idea for failures in these gears, simply put it's chips that get in and stick to the phenolic or the steel drive gear. I haven't looked at an Ammco manual in a long time, but here is one place where oil might serve better than grease, or even dry might be good. Any grease may make a chip stick for repeat trips through the gearing.
I have a gear head drill press made for Jet tools in the 70's and I've used it for 25-30 years without anything but a few drops every couple years in the two oil caps on top of the head. It just keeps on going, sounds a good as when I bought it used way back in the 80's. This make me think these gears should last well too if owners can keep the chips out of the shaper.

Looking over the numbers we see we can't make operating profit at $120, and we figured out why. That $120 price was based on a 1949 price form a scanned invoice of $14.15, and an inflation calculator showed $120 from that in 2006 when we first ran these and sold them in ebay. Run the numbers now, they are $142.69 each! (Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-216)

So any sold from henceforth need $130 just to make some profit, as the gear cutting was considerably higher than in 2006.
I apologize for any problems this may cause, and obviously all the parts for our customers in storage are going to need to be looked at for actual adjusted value.
Glen

Glad I checked in. Ordered one yesterday for $130.
My Delta is missing a tooth but didn't notice it till I looked closer one day when the gear was aligned just right.
Making a gib holding fixture to make tapered gibs for mini lathe.

Last edited:
I really think what "kills" these gears is chips that get through the opening below the ram. I don't have an Ammco anymore but if I did I'd investigate the feasibility of hanging a rubberized fabric guard over that hole. Two small 6-32 holes between the vertical ways at the top would allow a 1" tall x 2" wide guard held on with a 1/2 x 2" x .050" rectangular sheet tab, the two screws going into the sheet tap and through the rubber/fabric sandwiching it.
The dimensions would probably be different, I'm just going from memory, but the real point is that those gears would last the life of the shaper if no garbage were allowed between the gears.
I have a gear head drill press with phenolic gears running on steel gears and have never had a problem, going on 30 years with daily use. That translates into lifetimes use of a shaper in most shops.

On mine it looks like the rocker arm shoe took out the pin and a few partial teeth of the gear on that side. THe rocker arm shoe was slightly bent. I managed to straighten it, check with high spot on the inspection table and it slides great now.
I will take your advice and do something to keep chips away. THX for the tip.

So you think it unlocked and slide out while working and took out teeth? Or that the broken pin took the teeth out?
I suppose the pin could be shorter so only 1/8" stuck up to stop the slide. That might make it less likely to break.

It looks like the crank arm came loose while running and slid down or pushed up till it hit the pin and that force broke the pin out along with a few teeth. Probably bound something up and bent the crank arm in the process.

Hi partsproduction,
I would like to order one of your gears if you still have them.
I'm new here and don't know how to send you a private message... sorry.
Please let me know what I need to do next.
Thanks.
Joe

Hi partsproduction, I would like to order one of your bullgears, your PM mailbox is full and wont accept my PM. Thanks

Back