What's new

Antique Brown & Sharpe dividing head: fs

• Thread starter art_deco_machine
  • Start date
  • Replies 11
  • Views 2,046
A

art_deco_machine

I have a dividing head with no name on it. It appears old and in great shape. It doesn't have a round body like 'new' ones, rather it is squareish. From a picture of an antique B&S milling machine, showing the dividing head, I have concluded that this one is a B&S. There is one plate with it. I would take $75 for it. Or, I prefer, trade me something. IT has about an eight inch swing. No tailstock with it. I has an old three jaw chuck with it. No center.

According to the bathroom scales, tracable to NIST (National Institute of Sinks and Tubs) the head weighs 48 lbs and the chuck 12 lbs.

The chuck has a name on it. It is E Horton and Sons, Windsor Locks, Conn. Patented Nov 18 (or 13?) 1869.

I don't have a picture. I have a drawing that came from Rose's Antique Tools, I think, but they no longer have the pics on their web site, just the text. It shows the head like this one. I have the pic saved from some time ago. I can email it. E-mail me for the pic. I started to post it, but got frustrated with PHoto Bucket.

The head has a 5/8 inch key on the bottom.

Things for trade might be: D1-6 dog drive, face plate, relieving attachment for lathe, workhead for tool grinder, grinder centers,8 inch round bellows for grinder, L1 collet chuck.

Widlin1,

Sounds like you guys might have some good horse tradin' to do, so I'll take a pass on this one.

If oyu get the head, post a pic so I can mope about it. :rolleyes: -Mike

I don't have a picture now, but it looks like the one in this drawing:
hist_22.jpg

to widlin1: I tried to email you and it was returned. Have you gotten a new address or is your inbox full?

Here is two pictures of the chuck that I took by laying it on the scanner. It may not look round, but it is in real life. :cool:

Front view of E. Horton & Sons Co. chuck:
brownsharpe.jpg

Back view of chuck:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f315/art_deco_machine/brownsharpe001.jpg

It is seven inches diameter. A good many little dings and scratches. No major accidents. Three square things are sticking out to run the jaws open and closed.

This is not a scroll chuck, but the jaws are not independent. Each jaw has a screw, and each screw has a bevel gear on it.There is a ring bevel gear that mates with the three bevel gears. When one jaw is moved, they all move together. It still works pretty tight.

Still working on the pics for the head.

widlin in Maryland has got the head. Hopefully, he will post some pictures of it for all to see. I would be interested if anyone could tell us the age of this head.

Just to let people know I am very happy with the dividing head and have posted a few pictures in the Antique Machinery forum.

Back