What's new
What's new

boyar schultz 612

MHR

Plastic
parting out boyar Schultz 612 delux surface grinder it still has several good parts I bought it and tipped it over unloading it and broke the motor housing so I am going to part it out . text or call 270 446 0453 to let me know what parts you may be interested in. thanks

MHR: I'm interested in a parts or owners manual. I have a 618 and no parts book.

(P.S.) What part of Kentucky are you in. I'm about twenty miles North of Owensboro.

JH

I would post a pic of the damage, someone might want it whole if they think they can repair it. Parting out a machine can get time consuming and messy.

I would post a pic of the damage, someone might want it whole if they think they can repair it. Parting out a machine can get time consuming and messy.
Yea I thought about pics. it bent the shaft in the motor and broke the end of the cross feed screw I am sure someone could repair it if the want to spend some time on it

I know this is an old post, but I am looking for an Original six twelve wheel guard for a friend. He is restoring one and the outer wheel guard is missing. I would like to make a present of the cover to him. Or if some one has one and they can send pictures and dimensions, maybe I can have one made. My mill is currently in refurbishment. Or if you have one we can borrow long enough to have it patterned at a foundry. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Okay, pulling a Lazarus here, I am looking for a table feed gear for a standard 612. Part # 3529-A. It is the gear that goes on the shaft that mates to the rack on the upper table to move it back and forth. I've tried contacting several sources but one guy want more for the part than I paid for the machine (3 times actually). For that price I'd buy another machine, or make one. Unfortunately, I don't have the original so I would need some incite into the specs if anyone has one and can measure I'd really appreciate it. Of course if you had the part, for a reasonable cost, I'd appreciate that much more :-)
Failing this I'm probably going to have to replace the rack and gear with a set from McMaster Carr. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I took a picture of the gear on my 612. It has 18 teeth and about 1.25" in diameter. You can easily get the pitch and pressure angle from the rack.

DSC01186.jpg

Should not be too hard to get a gear from a supplier.

Spur Gear
Type A2 (No hub)
14.5 Pressure Angle
16 Pitch
0.500" Bore
1.250" OD
0.500" Face Width
18 Teeth
Held in place with 1/8” roll pin 7/8” long (gear is cross drilled through Root Diameter)
It may be cheaper/easier to get a Type 1 (hub with set screw), turn it down and drill it.
As stated above...readily available...probably ~~$25...

Please bear with me for another question. The protective bellows, what size and cuff ends or no. Looking at McMaster Carr and not sure which one to order. Looking at this one
McMaster-Carr

I bought this one from McMaster for my 612 Deluxe:

McMaster-Carr

I was about to buy the the 2 shorter ones, but together they were a lot more money. Since you have to cut the end for the nut anyway, I bought the longer one and cut it off center. I seem to remember there was a good rebuild video that discussed cutting the bellows to the right length. Took a bit of trial and error to move table to stops to determine each length.

Mine has been on for 2 years and still is good shape.

While I had mine apart, I ground/filed the front-back travel stop slots a bit, gained about 1/2" total travel. Did the same for the left-right stops. Together, they make grinding the chuck a lot easier without hitting the stops and getting the wheel all the way off the chuck front - back.

Thanks for the info. I ordered one today and it should be here Tuesday along with the table feed gear.

Got my gear and bellows today. Thanks for all who helped with info needed. I'm crossing my fingers that I have everything I now need to get this machine up and running!
I have an 1877 Field's falling block I want to get started on...

Got the gear fitted to the shaft. I didn't need to machine off the hub as there was nothing in its path if put on with the hub away from the shaft so only had to place a pin through the valley of the gear teeth and make a key way for it. Placed it on the saddle today and it goes back and forth just like it should. Now for cutting and fitting the bellows then attach the VFD and turn it on! Yeah. Progress IS being made.

Today (6/19) I wired the VFD to the grinder and turned it on. IT RAN! For the first time in about 20+ years! At first it ran backwards but I reversed a couple of leads and now it runs fine. Can't wait to start making sparks :-)

So THANKS to all who helped!

If it's got any grease-lubed bearings, do what you can to remove the old grease and replace with new, properly rated. Twenty year-plus old grease usually isn't the best for, well, greasing stuff...

Yesterday got the tables installed and the chuck (stoned the ways and the chuck) leveled it. When turned on my friend who uses one at another shop said of the two he has used one was louder than mine but the one he used most of the time was just slightly quieter than mine. He also said that it might just be because mine is in my garage with a lower ceiling and overall smaller area so the sound may just seem louder. No vibration felt. Found replacement bearings and man I sure hope mine last awhile, the 204H was about $143 and the 205H was over $150!!! OUCH!
Doesn't anyone make a alternative product that can be used that costs less? I'd like to have a back up set but I'm not paying more for the bearings than I paid for the machine.

Back