What's new
What's new

Crucible REX aa tool bits N.O.S.

Just an aside:

What is the difference between AA, AAA and 95?

I have some of each.

BTW, If I didn't already have more HSS than I will ever use, I'd grab one of those boxes of 7/16" - 28 pieces for only $50!

Steve

Just an aside:

What is the difference between AA, AAA and 95?

I have some of each.

BTW, If I didn't already have more HSS than I will ever use, I'd grab one of those boxes of 7/16" - 28 pieces for only $50!

Steve

I've got more HSS than I could use in several lifetimes, present rate. Lybarger's Corollary sez it will all be the wrong size or alloy, any given FUTURE tasking.

If you do not HAVE those (I do..) grab them while they are still available.

As to what is what..

The entire Crucible line, alloying element percentages, performance characteristics, and recommend applications were still posted online as of a few years ago. They might yet be. Mo Max - and it is a broad line, not just a single alloying, many of which I'm not especially amused by - was similar.

IF I could have had but ONE suppler, it would have been Crucible, no contest. They had all the bases covered, and each one with an alloy about as good as could be had FOR that application. Plenty of competition back in the day. Few equals.

It only took deep, deep diving to find out why the "Cobra" held up to the battering of first-pass corn-cob stick-weld as well as it did. Classical Brute Force and Bloody Ignorance of lots of then-precious Tungsten, and heat-treat of it that is probably lost in dim history.

Pittsburgh, other key metals centers, and their outliers had many speciality steel makers. Most actually did not focus on, or not EXCLUSIVELY focus on - cutting tools - Crucible included. There was far more money and volume in turbine blades and such.

Brandon,
Still nothing...I think you are sending a PM, not an email...
Send an email to:
[email protected]
Ted

No they were emails to your aol address not PMs. They must be getting caught in your junk mail filter for some reason. I have sent another email with different working hopefully it gets through. If you don't see it soon can you check your trash or junk folder and see if they are getting deleted.

No they were emails to your aol address not PMs. They must be getting caught in your junk mail filter for some reason. I have sent another email with different working hopefully it gets through. If you don't see it soon can you check your trash or junk folder and see if they are getting deleted.

You are correct, they were in my junk folder.
Email returned.
That is the last box of 7/16" that is available (plenty of 5/8 left)
Ted

Reading the information for the AA it mentioned good for forging.

I really love a gooseneck tool I have for the planer.. I could see it being forged from a single piece of metal about the 5/8" size... Could these be forged then reheatreated?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I really love a gooseneck tool I have for the planer.. I could see it being forged from a single piece of metal about the 5/8" size... Could these be forged then reheatreated?

Swats,
Yes, AA can be forged from the full annealed state and then rehardened.
I will look up the temps if you want.
John

I really love a gooseneck tool I have for the planer.. I could see it being forged from a single piece of metal about the 5/8" size... Could these be forged then re-heat treated?

Forged, certainly. Heat-treated as well. Pay attention to what they need.

REX 95 (just never happened to try it with AA or AAA) can also be welded - no heat-treat required. MOST of our planer tools were.

We need mostly ELL or TEE shapes, had no room for holder-shank.

Powdered-Iron rod, hand held stick, Linde 300 A DC welder back of it. Union Shop, pro welders, not my job, so I just told them what I needed, they did it, ergo I do not know at what settings. The rod is a safer guess. About all the company stocked besides Manganese hard-face.

Experiment with that. The powdered iron. Not the hard-face.

Life got "interesting" for a lathe-hand when a welder took his break, came back, picked up what he had part of a rod left of, accidentally - or maybe for a joke - laid a run of the hard-face right down amongst the corn-cob of iron!

:(

Apropos of nothing much.. was researching Hadfeld Alloy, Mangalloy and cousins a while back, see it listed as "cannot be machined"

The f**k it cannot. Hungry card-carriers, old Niles lathes, and REX 95 did not know that, so we JF did it.

Swats,
Yes, AA can be forged from the full annealed state and then rehardened.
I will look up the temps if you want.
John
Please... Withe the new heat treating oven I can easily heat the metal for forging and treating afterward.

Just need to find me a BFH And a place to smack it on :D

Back