What's new
What's new

Free rotary phase converter

SteveM

Diamond
The guy who bought my dad's milling machines didn't want the rotary phase converter, as he is going to be running a VFD.

We were able to use it to power up the mill, so it WAS working, but we know nothing about it. We have no wiring diagrams. I can't tell you anything about how it is wired, except that I know where the power went in and where it went out. All the wiring is still connected.

There is the motor and a control box with a start and run switch (the run switch is a circuit breaker).

My dad built this 20-30 or more years ago. When we think of something like this, we say "Oh, I'll just google 'Make your own rotary phase converter' ", but Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet, so I find it pretty amazing he was able to get the plans for it.

Alternately, you could convert it back to a motor and use it for powering some really ancient piece of machinery.

The deal is this:
You have to pick it up in southwestern Connecticut.
It is being sold "as-is".
This offer is ONLY available to long-time board members in good standing.
Since I will have to quantify that, I will call it member for a year and at least 100 posts.

You should bring a hand truck, as it is in a basement (hey, they got the mill up the stairs, so this should not be that hard).

Steve

Attachments

• PhaseConverter1.jpg
    PhaseConverter1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 383
  • PhaseConverter2.jpg
    PhaseConverter2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 376
That's pretty generous of SteveM, I have a couple of those home built units and paid about $150 each for them 25 tears ago. The one in the basement has been running just about every day since and has started machines bigger than it is built for without a single problem so far.
Dan

Back