What's new
What's new

FS: Clausing 4900 parts and Tooling (might fit others as well)

jkopel

Stainless
FS: Jacobs collet chuck, face plate, follow rest, other parts, fits Clausing 4900

I got rid of my 4914 and this stuff is left over.
All prices plus shipping.
Payment by paypal preferred, other payments types are OK.
Please post here first and then send me a PM.
Thanks for looking, happy to add additional photos if you want them.

IMG_0021.jpg

1. 8" face plate threaded 1-3/4 X 8 - $50

2. Banjo for metric threading gear setup. This was made by PM member Finegrain who used to manufacture metric threading sets. I have no gears, but this piece is unused and probably impossible to get any other way. Just cut yourself some gears and you are good to go. :D - $50 (OBO)

3. OEM follow rest, appears to be almost unused. - $120 (OBO)

4. some used parts. There is a tailstock screw, and a spindle end gear and takeup nut, and a random 35 tooth gear from somewhere in the gearbox. - $35 (or free if you buy item #5)

5. Brand new replacement parts. These are unused OEM Clausing parts, and would cost a fortune to buy if they even still have them. Mostly gearbox parts, including 3 shafts (one might be a back gear shaft I don't remember), and a fancy internally splined dog clutch gear set. There are also a set of spindle bearing protector washers. You probably don't need them now, but you might someday and then where will you be? - $200 (OBO)

6. Nice Jacobs model 50 rubberflex collet chuck set. The chuck is threaded for the 1-3/4" x 8 spindle. - $200 (OBO)

IMG_9999.jpgIMG_9997.jpgIMG_9996.jpgIMG_0001.jpg

Last edited:
For the banjo (item 2), what is the center to center distance for the two bores shown in the picture?IMG_0021.jpg
Or, specify the size of item 2 some other way please.

Fair question.
I am going to go out on a limb and call it 9.25".
It is intended to replace this standard banjo that you no doubt have on your machine, and those bores/holes correspond to the ones I marked here:

banjo.jpg

More to the point though, do you have a 4900 series lathe?
There were two versions of this banjo, one for 4900 and one for 5900 and I assume the spacing is different.

I have a Clausing model 5913 Serial #509xxx. I have the parts manual that is apparently original to the machine, at least the serial numbers in the manual are appropriate to my machine. My manual shows the same quadrant assembly page you have, is labeled 4900-29 and appears in every way identical to your diagram, at least as much as posted. I measured the center to center distance of my current standard (English) banjo, and as close as I can measure using a set of calipers 9.25" without taking the machine apart and using gage pins. My only concern is my diagram of a Clausing metric lathe banjo shows the same centers at distance at 8.25" clearly marked, but this drawing does not specify the model for which it applies. I think my machine will use your banjo, but I need to check with Clausing in the AM.

I want to put in a plug for the customer service at Clausing. They fixed a problem with a part they had sold me 19 years previously which I had not installed. The problem was an apparent manufacturing defect. Turn around was a couple of days over the winter holidays, no questions asked, no hard time, or unpleasantness. FWIW, they have many parts for their machines, and for the ones they don't, they will almost always have drawings, which they will sell you for ? $20 or so. Parts and drawings may be a bit steep, but better than junking an otherwise good machine.

I'm interested in the used parts in item #4 just want to check my machine first. what would the shipping cost?

Sorry, I sold the follow rest on ebay.
I still have the metric threading banjo, the used parts and the new gearbox parts, but they are going to ebay soon as well.

Back