What's new
What's new

FS: Holdridge 4D set in wooden box

metalmagpie

Titanium
Will post pic later.

Clean complete Holdridge 4D radii turner set in wooden box $700 plus shipping, or $740 shipped to lower 48. Will consider shipping elsewhere for actual charges no handling.

Leather handle on wood box broke. I have a new one on order from Holdridge and you will receive it at no additional cost.

I bought this for a project never completed, have never touched it. I bought it from the guy who originally purchased it, and he obviously didn't use it much either.

For quickest response email at grant AT nwnative DOT us but I will see a PM eventually.

metalmagpie

I was waiting for a picture. And refresh my memory, what size lathe is the 4D for? Good pictures and good prices result in quick sales.

About a 10" lathe should be o.k. for a 4D Holdridge. I have an 8" Holdridge that fits perfectly on my 16" lathe.One time I was given the task of making a hard maple hammering form for some silversmiths who were making the "Jones Cup"(I don't know if there are pictures on the internet somewhere. It might not be legally permissible for me to post pictures of all the PGA trophies I made the spinning chucks for). This trophy had a round bottom "cup" on it that needed a bottom that was perfectly round and about 8 3/8" diameter. I made an aluminum slimmed down tool holder for the Holdridge,and barely eeked out the hard maple form. Not sure how my much thinner than usual tool holder would work on metal! Did a beautiful job on the wood. I wish I had one of those electric motors that mount on top to very slowly rotate the yolks. But,they cost a lot,and are probably very seldom used.

Note: Unable to find an image of the particular Jones Cup that we made.

Wait no more, sorry for the delay. Pix below - metalmagpie

holdridge.jpg

holdridgeLabel.jpg

holdridgeCase.jpg

Note that the 4D needs 1 5/8" minimum from the top of the compound to the lathe's spindle axis. That rules out use of the 4" models on the 10EE without changing the compound in some way, usually simply carving out a block of steel that sits 1/4" or so lower than the compound on the cross slide.

Back