What's new
What's new

Amwerican VS china made cutters ?

Well obviously anything made within the confines of the political boundary in which we are currently located must be superior to a device made within some other political boundary that we do not live in located on the other side of this big round rock that floats though space.

i did not ask about your politics, M-BOX

i want to know about quality

seems like you are more concerned with political correctness than working with tools that fall apart when you use them

i have had plenty of bad luck with made in china stuff breaking while in use

Well, I don't know if someone in the US still makes those brazed carbides, with that said I doubt it matters much... its brazed carbide, its gonna cut like shit no matter what.

I use brazed carbide lathe tools in shank sizes from 3/16 to 1/2 inch. I have been using them for at least 40 years. I have hundreds of them from many companies and many countries. They all work. The main difference is how well they were ground at the factory. Once you resharpen them, that difference goes away. The only way you would ever know if one is better than another is if you are mass producing parts and can track the tool life of different bits.

You must have a grinder with a diamond wheel if you use brazed carbide bits.

Larry

I have a few real old "REAL" Carboloy brazed carbide bits (370 & 883) that hold an edge better than some of the top of the line carbide inserts out there! (Well almost.)

They still have a place in my shop along with HSS!;)

There is a guy on this website who is the owner of a company that specializes in carbide. I'm not 100% sure this is it... but i think it is. You might contact them...

** EDIT.... it is him, Name is tomwalz, his profile ==> http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/members/tomwalz/

Woodworking Tools | Brazed Carbide tools, Circular Saw Blade, Router Bits Set, Drill Bits |Carbide Brazing

I think buying something generic like that off of ebay w/o knowing anything about the source could be somewhat of a gamble-not saying it is, just don't know where a lot of it comes from. To the ebay listers credit he seems like he's pretty straight up in reading that listing and the information he provides.

Junk

We used to use all AMEERICAN MADE but our company went to the cheaper Asian made and the brazed carbide will peel off, now we do alot of fly cutting compared to just cutting. The asian high speed don't hold there edge either. Like the old saying you get what you pay for!!!

Well, I don't know if someone in the US still makes those brazed carbides, with that said I doubt it matters much... its brazed carbide, its gonna cut like shit no matter what.

I must be getting old. I have NEVER had a problem putting an edge on a brazed carbide tool for lathe work (or flycutting or broaching for that matter). I must know how to do it!

Micro 100 makes the best brazed-on carbide stick tools I have ever used.

The ones I have purchased from McMaster Carr have been American made. They appear to be from American Carbide Tool Company and they have worked well for me although I don't use brazed carbide often. I don't buy Chinese tools so can't tell you of any differences.

I've also heard that the Micro 100 brazed carbide cutters work really well so I need to give them a try.

Patrick

Back