What's new

High Speed Hammer Company model R-53 Sensitive Drill - $300 obo

SteveM

Diamond
High Speed Hammer Company Sensitive Drill model R-53

Another tool from my dad's shop.

Similar to the P&W Sigourney

Weighs over 100 lbs.

2-1/4 spindle travel, 3" from spindle to column.

4-speeds selectable by round belt on 4-position pulley.

Speeds of 750, 1,500 3,000, 6,000 rpm

Albrecht keyless chuck, 1/8" capacity.

Price $300 OBO, includes chuck.

Attachments

• HighSpeedHammerDrill (1).jpg
    HighSpeedHammerDrill (1).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 978
  • HighSpeedHammerDrill (2).jpg
    HighSpeedHammerDrill (2).jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 466
  • HighSpeedHammerDrill_3014-A.jpg
    HighSpeedHammerDrill_3014-A.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 384
I have one like it. Yours is missing the table. I have a spare table I was saving to put on my machine. If anyone wants the machine I would be willing to sell the spare table.

The irony of a sensitive drill made by "the high speed hammer company" is almost enough to make me want this. Would be funny to hang a sledge from it and wait for shop visitors to inquire :D

Steve - Speaking personally, 300 bucks strikes me as way off the mark given the lack of a table. My thought is that your dad must have had the table somewhere in the shop. Are you sure you haven't come across it? If it turns out that you really don't have it, perhaps you could consider getting illinoyance's table and then reoffering the DP. Also, saying a word about the condition of the spindle, and general operating condition, might be helpful.

-Marty-

Steve - Speaking personally, 300 bucks strikes me as way off the mark given the lack of a table. My thought is that your dad must have had the table somewhere in the shop. Are you sure you haven't come across it? If it turns out that you really don't have it, perhaps you could consider getting illinoyance's table and then reoffering the DP. Also, saying a word about the condition of the spindle, and general operating condition, might be helpful.

I'm already talking to illinoyance about the idea of a package deal.

I didn't realize that there was a table. The Sigourney drill presses don't have one, so I thought it was similar. There's not a ton of headroom under these. Dad just held the work in a vise on the base.

I don't think he has the table, as I remember this drill from when I was a kid, and I've never seen it. I will be down there tomorrow, so I will take a look.

The price on this, and all the rest of my dad's tools are negotiable. I won't be insulted by counter-offers, particularly if you can show me comparable sales that show I am off the mark.

I still have some sanders, buffers, grinders, an electric punch press, a Pratt & Whitney 3C mill, a Pultra lathe, a Clausing 5914 lathe and a really nice old-school cast-iron bandsaw that will be up shortly.

Steve

I have seen a few other sensitive drill presses that never had tables. The Servo is one example. The Hamilton I once had never had a table. I guess this one must have had a table,if the other guy is offering one,assuming it is the correct table for this drill. Does the table for sale have a name on it?

I picked up one of these a few years ago at auction. It came with a table, that clearly looked original.

I am not the one responsible for the 'arc of shame'. At some point I will find a better table, or maybe mill out an area, and inlay a replaceable insert. Some day.

I never considered drill press tables a 'consumable item' but clearly others do.

arc of shame.jpg

I found a copy of the owner's manual (I think on vintagemachinery.org ) and it does show a table.

The Sigourney doesn't have a table. In fact, it doesn't have a column, so there's no place to mount one anyway.

Steve

Back