What's new
What's new

Need help with Identifying tool holder, would like to sell

dofusdo

Plastic
I have some 150+ quick change tool holders and a chuck. The chuck has some issues such as the internal threads that hold it into the quill are partially stripped and I don't know what to do to not make them worse. I bought them used and didn't inspect it as I should have. The threads in the chuck are 7/16 - 20 R8. I paid $400 including shipping for all of them so I don't know what they are worth with the chuck like it is. I've tried to find a name but couldn't. I've found a size on the tool holder like (T 302B) & (T 302C) but no name anywhere thinking I could get a new chuck. It is spring loaded and once the tool holder is put in place you push a button that closes it in place. Really nice if you know what you're doing and I didn't. I have another mill and am using ER40 collets so I am just going to use them on both mills and want to sell these. I would appreciated any kind of help I can get.
I tried to upload some pictures but not sure how they will turn out.150+ tool Holders.jpgChuck.jpg3 Diff Tool Holders.jpgBottom of Chuck.jpgSide of Chuck.jpg

Attachments

• Side of Chuck.jpg
    Side of Chuck.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 409
What size is that taper on the holder, looks like an INT 40, but may be INT 30. Is the quick change unit integral to the shank, or threaded on?

It needs some careful grinding work before it goes in a spindle, though. Looks like things were...Exciting!

Quite the collection. Pretty sure someone will be along to ID the maker, have seen guys advertising on here wanting tool holders for various tooling systems that were put on the market to allow quicker and repeatable tool changes on manual milling machines.

With the number of duplicates you have of some of the holders, I could see packaging out that lot in groups too, if enough guys were interested. Do you really need 15 JT2 drill chuck arbors, eh?

Cheers
Trev

The taper on the chuck is R 8. I think the shank is threaded on but I've tried to get it off without tearing it up so I quit. I would be willing to break it up if someone was really interested. If you have a several tools that are different sizes but have the same shank in the middle you could have a need for several 5/16" holders. I don't want to admit when I bought these I really thought I knew what I was doing. Hurry, Hurry, Hurry, makes nothing but mistakes.

Does not look like an R 8, looks like an INT 40.

Huh?

If it was torqued in to an R 8 spindle, that would explain the damage done to both the threads and the face of the taper.

Measure up the large and small ends of the taper, and compare to the dimensions of the INT/ISO/Cat/BT series (which all use essentially the same taper in a given size).

An INT 30 taper uses that same front end of the taper as used on the R8, but the R8 uses a longer straight shank than the 30 taper does.

Do some measuring. My apologies if it really IS an R8, but I have never seen an R8 taper with drive keys on the sides, so ...http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/CADDrawings/NMTB30/NMTB30R8Comp.jpg The blue one is the R8 taper. Yours does not look like that.

Perhaps the seller didn't know as much about it either.

From http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCWishListBiggerProjects.html

More taper info, just for easy reference. http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/Tapers.html

Cheers
Trev

Thanks, I will check it out. The machine is an R 8 and that's what the seller told me. You could very well be right. The ER 40 chuck I ordered did have a long straight shank on it so I'm thinking my ignorance is starting to show up here.

Quick Change chuck

Well I don't have a brand name but I did find out that the chuck is a NMTB 30 chuck. I had ask if it would fit an R8. That right there showed I didn't know what I was doing. He said yes and it did but not the way it is supposed too. That's why I messed it up Don't know what to do at this point as I don't need any of them now. Thanks for giving me a heads up and what to look for.

yes, it's obviously an nmtb. I figured it was nmtb 30 because of the taper size relative to the chuck. I vaguely remember that setup from back when I was buying a lot of nmtb tooling, but I don't remember the brand at all. Seems like Universal engineering had something like that.

dofusdo

your tooling collection appears to be Kingman White quick change

my recall----- the owners of a Los Angeles job shop came up with this
system in the late 1940's

a variety of taper shanks were available---the master chuck I have
came with a Mitsui Seiki J4B jig bore
I bored the internal taper pressed in and welded an ER 32 collet chuck

this tool system was cooked up in the era of slow turn spindles

and if you look at the ramped locking grooves in the tool holders
it is apparent a lot of metal is removed--certain imbalance when the
spindle spins up ---especially with a heavy tool
the short taper and skimpy locking mechanism add to concern over
tool throw out at speed

the two drill penetrations at the same circumferential band combined with the red dot
help distinguish Kingman White from Universal Engineering, Erickson, etc

you should find faintly embossed into the bottom ring ---Kingman White--

your collection is by far the largest I have seen and should sell rapidly on ebay

jh

Attachments

• 100_6604.jpg
    100_6604.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 100_6605.jpg
    100_6605.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 217

Back