What's new
What's new

OT: please explain Craigslist and Facebook marketplace scams to me

Jay Fleming

Hot Rolled
Say you've got something for sale on Craigslist. You will inevitably get emails or FB messages with one sentence which you may reply to with a very simple answer. Craigslist is anonymous when using their email service. So what do the scammers/spammers expect to get from these types of communication? I just don't understand what sensitive information is being transferred.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

none unless you give it to them. scammers will ask to- broker your sale for you , pay with bogus funds like
cashiers checks , money orders or wire transfers to access your bank account . or ship something to them .
they will either want to take your goods without paying, or harvest personal information .

local pickup ,cash only sales , meet at a safe place with video surveillance (like in a police station parking lot)
and you are reasonably safe .

One of the tipoffs that it is a scam, besides saying that he will pay you in Nigerian lottery tickets, is that their reply doesn't have any indication that they read the ad.

Some of these are:
"I would like to purchase your item"
"Is this still available"
or one of my all-time favorites (an actual one sent to me):
"Sounds nice, am okay with the price, I will be adding an extra $50 for you to keep it for me, would you accept a bank certified cashier check ?As my payment option then after it clears at your bank my mover will come for pick up. "

I've gotten replies to my ads in minutes after posting, leading me to believe that there are automated bots replying to these.

There are a bunch of selling scams involving campers. The big tipoff is that there is only one picture of the camper and it is from the outside.

Steve

I needed a rim for my 2000 Astro van. Found a pair on Craigslist. The guy I bought from was beyond paranoid. Said he only meets in public places never at his house or shop. Didn't list his phone number in his ad either. That got me paranoid. Everything worked out okay non the less. I'm thinking he got screwed over bad at one point and it wasn't happening again.

I’ve bought and sold a good bit on Craigslist and the scammers usually are obvious. If there is a bunch of cash involved I take a friend with me or have them where I’m selling. We’re both armed. I also circle the block and scout it out. Drove an hour a couple of months ago accompanying a friend to buy a car trailer that was borderline too good to be true. We got there and the address was bogus and they started a story about they were out of town and...we hung up and headed home. On the other hand I’ve bought a couple trucks cheap and my mill for a couple hundred dollars. Use your head and most likely you will spot any problems. Cash only in person. No checks or other forms of payment.

I wasn't necessarily asking about the meetings but only the initial communication. I just don't understand why someone will email saying "do you still have this" or "I'm interested in your whatever". If you reply yes or okay, can they somehow circumvent craigslists email mirror and get something from your email?

I wasn't necessarily asking about the meetings but only the initial communication. I just don't understand why someone will email saying "do you still have this" or "I'm interested in your whatever". If you reply yes or okay, can they somehow circumvent craigslists email mirror and get something from your email?

I don't think they can get any information through the craigslist message service, the scam is the way they work you once they con you into believing they're willing to make a deal. As was said by another member; there are some guys that are real paranoid, others that are straight forward and some that are trolling looking for a sucker to screw.
Don't take any of this the wrong way, I have many deals that worked out well and got some bargains in the process. On the other hand have spent way more than the item was worth but have also sold many things that were bargain priced and cleared some space of clutter so it can be a win-win situation. The bottom line is to use your head and things will work out fine.
Dan

The immediate 'bot' replies are NOT to scam you. They are only to establish that there is a live person on the other end willing to respond to them. It is nothing more than an automated phishing bot.

After you have responded in any way it gets flagged out of their bot program for a human scammer to follow up and see if he can phish some information out of you that he can use.

Say you've got something for sale on Craigslist. You will inevitably get emails or FB messages with one sentence which you may reply to with a very simple answer. Craigslist is anonymous when using their email service. So what do the scammers/spammers expect to get from these types of communication? I just don't understand what sensitive information is being transferred.

-Easy, they're fishing.

As noted above, this kind of thing is done with an automated program, a "bot". The program is crawling the CL ads looking for contact information- which is why CL tries to mask it behind a link.

When it finds a contact number or address, it fires off one of a handful of generic questions- "is this still available?", "will you hold it for me?", and so forth.

This is all done automatically, with no human intervention, and hundreds of thousands of times a day.

When you reply to it, the "bot" relays your reply to one of the scammers, so they can answer you directly and start "reeling you in". In some cases even the first response just gets a second automated reply- "will you hold it for me if I add $50", and so on. Only when you've proven yourself to be a "live catch" is your email relayed to a live person.

Basically, if/when I sell on CL, if the person doesn't demonstrate at least a passing knowledge of the item in question (IE, if they call it an "item", or use your exact description of it- "do you still have this Brand New Burnmaster 9000 Super Deluxe Range With Broiler Attachment, Must See!?", they obviously don't) I delete the email and just go on with my life.

The sad fact is that such scamming is part of life now, and we have to deal with it the same way we have to lock the front door at night, lock the car at the mall, and not walk around certain parts of town wearing a big gold Rolex.

Doc.

I *almost* fell for this: I listed a car on CL. Got very little response but one reply asked if I had a car report like Carfax. I said no but I had all service records. The reply was that the buyer was interested but his loan officer required a report from a particular co. I went online and was about buy the report using a cc number, but a little voice stopped me. A bit of Googling revealed that the car report site was scam to get cc numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an aside, my favorite bit was several years ago, when I was selling an 80s Ford Diesel truck for a friend, on CL. It'd been badly hit in the passenger side front corner, with heavy frame damage, the axle pushed back a good 6"-8", radiator damage, the works. We were selling it cheap, for parts.

One of the first replies I got asked a couple of generic, but in-context stupid questions, like "how does it drive?" and "how are the brakes?" :D

Three of the four pictures I'd posted showed the extensive front end damage, and the description stated quite plainly the frame was badly bent, the front axle was bent and cracked, the radiator smashed, etc.

None of the replies said anything about the actual truck- they were just three or four generic questions that would have applied to nearly any vehicle.

Doc.

I've been buying and selling on CL since its inception. There are scammers that are posing as buyers and sellers.
It seems like in the last 5 years the creeps have really jumped on the band wagon and 60% of the replies are from them.
They rely on many of the "phone" generations "I want it now" mentality to provide info without thinking about what they are responding with.
Tools and larger items are fairly obvious when you get the stupid questions.

The CL scammers that are septic sludge are the ones that prey on people searching for a pet. Most searching for a pet are looking for a new one as they possibly just lost a friend. Guard is down. I spent last Jan thru March tagging the cl adds that were scams. I still try and spend a few minutes a week doing it

Here's an text exchange I had with a buyer recently. I had listed the item with my cell phone number and requested text replies.

Him:
Hello do you still have this Bowers and Wilkins C5 series 2 ear buds - $90 forsale if still kindy email my mom so that she can come and take a look of it after work today [email protected] Pinkien

Me:

Just have her give me a call or text please.

Him:

Please email her. Thanks

I figured he wanted my email address for some reason. Never heard from him again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Here's one scam they try to pull...If you are selling a vehicle, they will contact you and tell you that they want to buy it, but they are located out-of-state. They tell you that they will send you a cashier's check or money order and arrange to have the vehicle transported. They then tell you that they have contracted someone to transport it but they have to be paid up-front, so they are going to include the extra funds so you can pay him when he arrives to get the vehicle.
Of course the check/m.o. is fake, but by the time you realize it (when your bank contacts you) your car and your money are long gone.
If you're lucky they didn't really want the vehicle, they just wanted to scam you out of the "transport money", so they just drop your vehicle somewhere and you end up getting it back. Otherwise, you're out the vehicle, the transport money, and have to pay the bank back any funds you withdrew.

I responded to an email from my craiglist ad asking if the item was still available, I got so many ads from different companies. I have since learned, they just want your email address so they can sell it. There is another scam, where they put an item for sale at a very cheap price, to get you to respond with your email address. When did the world get like this? I am losing my faith in mankind. Bob

I usually end my ads with:
"replies asking if this is still available will be ignored"

I've seen people put a code in the ad and ask you to send it in the subject like, such as:
"Use the code 'abc123' in the subject line of your reply to prove you are human".

Steve

I usually end my ads with:
"replies asking if this is still available will be ignored"

I've seen people put a code in the ad and ask you to send it in the subject like, such as:
"Use the code 'abc123' in the subject line of your reply to prove you are human".

Steve

I now do that. Bob

Ask the seller or buyer if they have an ebay ID. Often they do and you can see their feedback rating. You can send a message through ebay if you want to verify. I never buy from anyone with less than 99% feedback, and I never let a poor feedback (<95%) ebayer bid on a high dollar item. I would rather make less money and always have a successful sale/purchase.

I recently bought a Bridgeport mill from a stranger on Craigslist. In his message he posted his business email address. I tracked that down to a website and an ebay id with the same email address. His feedback was 100% with several hundred auctions. I knew he was a trustworthy person, and the mill was in great shape. And ebay didn't rob 10% of the auction price from the sale.

I needed a rim for my 2000 Astro van. Found a pair on Craigslist. The guy I bought from was beyond paranoid. Said he only meets in public places never at his house or shop. Didn't list his phone number in his ad either. That got me paranoid. Everything worked out okay non the less. I'm thinking he got screwed over bad at one point and it wasn't happening again.

Innocent people have been murdered by responding to craigslist adverts.

Back