What's new
What's new

OT- UPS charge the same extra $ for residential delivery if you mark "residential

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
OT- UPS charge the same extra $ for residential delivery if you mark "residential

delivery" on the original shipping book (our UPS account) versus you not marking that in the ship book, and them billing extra for it later ? I ask as sometimes one just doesn't know, but you can Google the address and usually figure it out. But if the charge is the same either way it's not worth the trouble to Google and figure it out.

I don't know what you mean by "book".

I have a UPS account. I've shipped things to folks who told me they had a commercial address. When I enter the address in the website to make the shipping label, I do not check the box for residential. Usually, the computer will process the address and tell me that it is in fact residential.

Other times, the computer says nothing, but they charge you the residential surcharge when they determine that it is in fact residential. I'm not sure how that part works if you go to the UPS terminal to ship a package.

The BS things about it is that they only stick those surcharges to little guys. Large shippers negotiate out of all of the surcharges.

Us mere mortals cannot escape it.

The BS things about it is that they only stick those surcharges to little guys. Large shippers negotiate out of all of the surcharges.

Is that true? I used to work for a fortune 500 company that did millions through UPS. They used a company that's sole job was to look through their clients UPS bills and verify all the charges on the UPS invoice were correct. They had software that somehow sorted through all the charges, then looked up the facts and disputed the charge if necessary. They work 100% off the amount they save you. I remember one of the things they dealt with was residential charges tacked on to the invoice. I really wanted to go through one of those companies for my business. I do about $75K/yr in UPS, but those companies won't even talk to you if do less thank $400K/yr in shipping.

To answer the question, I could be wrong, but I'm 90% sure there are no fines or fees tacked on the invoice if UPS corrects your shipping info. Probably 7/10 of the boxes I ship are audited to be slightly heavier or slightly larger than I originally entered online. I will get an additional charge for literally $0.12 sometimes. I've even seen them audit a box to be smaller than what I entered and they gave me a credit for it. In my experience, UPS tends to be pretty fair with their shipping charge corrections. Only issues I've had is when they audit a box to be 2 feet larger than what I shipped it in and they charge me the $70 oversize package fee and completely ignore my dispute claim! That's happened 2 or 3 times in the last couple years.

If you go to a UPS store, they will look up all that info and bill you accordingly. FYI, UPS stores aren't actually part of UPS. If the UPS store is wrong on any of the info they input, UPS will bill them extra. But they tack on so much to what they charge you, they're covered either way. If you call UPS and pay by credit card for a shipping label, they keep your card on file and will bill any corrections to it if necessary. There really isn't any way to get around it.

There really isn't any way to get around it.

Well.. 'sort of'. FedEx, DHL, Emory, TNT, Estes LTL, Hellmann, Angel Case... back when I still had to care.

Mind, they each had their OWN set of 'issues', and it calls for some effort invested, not a tick-the-box no-brainer. Having the choices did let us select for minimum hassle on a given load-type and routing.

We didn't have huge nor even predictable volume, so hassle-avoidance was worth more to us in cash-money than consolidating for discounts or such.

YMMV.

I don't know what you mean by "book".

I have a UPS account. I've shipped things to folks who told me they had a commercial address. When I enter the address in the website to make the shipping label, I do not check the box for residential. Usually, the computer will process the address and tell me that it is in fact residential.

Other times, the computer says nothing, but they charge you the residential surcharge when they determine that it is in fact residential. I'm not sure how that part works if you go to the UPS terminal to ship a package.

If you use Worldship software instead of the website, worldship will determine the classification of the receiver's address. You can set it to automatically check the address when you enter it, or you can hit F7 to have it classify the address manually, or F8 to authenticate the address so you don't get an address correction charge. I hate that particular charge, it's $12 even if it's the difference between 1201A Main St and 1201 - A, Main St. The system then stores all the corrections to use next time you ship to that address. Worldship makes using UPS a breeze. There might be a way to do it online as well, but I'm not familiar.

BTW, my address was classified as Residential for years and I didn't know it, and I paid extra for every package I received because of it. I tried to get it changed, and UPS told me the shipper has to dispute the classification with them, I couldn't do it because I was the receiver. I forget what we finally did to get it changed, but trying to do anything like that it a huge PITA wit UPS. Took us a full year to get our account set as a "signature required" dropoff point, because substitute drivers were leaving our packages at other addresses including a construction site without checking even though ALL businesses are supposed to be 'signature required' by default. UPS is like the phone co - when it works it's great, when it doesn't it really sucks.

I usually don't ship to a residence so I don't have to worry.
I use the shipping ad on with QB Pro and it links with UPS, makes my label creation and address validation easier.
One thing that has been a pain recently.
UPS has started multiple rechecks during the shipping process for weight and size, supposedly with lasers and high tech wizze equipment.
I've been hit twice since Jan for incorrect size of the box.
Amazing since both shipments were 12 x 12 x 6 factory stamped boxes and that's what size was entered in the shipping mgr. I tried getting answers to when and how they calibrate their equipment.
They charged me 9 cents extra.
Billing told me I could dispute it.....I didn't want to waste the time.

I usually don't ship to a residence so I don't have to worry.
I use the shipping ad on with QB Pro and it links with UPS, makes my label creation and address validation easier.
One thing that has been a pain recently.
UPS has started multiple rechecks during the shipping process for weight and size, supposedly with lasers and high tech wizze equipment.
I've been hit twice since Jan for incorrect size of the box.
Amazing since both shipments were 12 x 12 x 6 factory stamped boxes and that's what size was entered in the shipping mgr. I tried getting answers to when and how they calibrate their equipment.
They charged me 9 cents extra.
Billing told me I could dispute it.....I didn't want to waste the time.

The number stamped is the inside dimensions, at least it is on my boxes. I've had those charges too, and they are not consistent - Same size box goes OK some routes and not OK on others.

The number stamped is the inside dimensions, at least it is on my boxes.

Point. Good one, too!

Just about EVERYBODY - except the shippers - forgets that. Or never gave it a thought.

Waste of time and stress-budget to get into an argument because they used a tape-measure and we didn't think we had to be bothered.

Back