What's new
What's new

Possible new E-Bay scam?

ratbldr427

Titanium
Earlier in the week I came across a 5C collet chuck.New with a threaded back plate.BIN $23.00,free shipping.
I had bought one for the shop for several hundred years ago so I jumped on it.I checked to what else the seller had to sell.Nothing , he just joined on the 18th.So maybe he got stuck with something he didn't know any thing about and just wanted to get rid of it.The free shipping???from New Port Richie Fl probably as much as the chuck sold for?Oh well its only 23 bucks I figured I'd wait and see if it s a real deal.
Last night I was browsing and came across another ad with the same type photo for $24.free shipping.Not the same guy,this one is in Vermont,just joined and has 2 for sale.The description says threaded plain back as shown in the picture except the picture shows a cam lock?
Below his ad E-Bay shows more like it and some of the photos are the same type(they were taken by the same camera apparently)for $169.This guy may be lagitament because of the price and he has a sales history of more than just chucks and claims to have sold quite a few.The only thing strange is that all his reviews are perfect 5 stars,no one pissed off? His freight is about $33.
What are the chances that 3 different people from 3 different locations have 5c chucks for sale with the same photos and 2 have just joined.I smell a rat.
What do you guys think?

When something seems too good to be true, then generally it is !

I had a similar issue with a Tractor I was after - chap was also selling a camper and a speed boat. I used Google Image Search and found the camper as subject to a dispute in a previous sale, but also the same items for sale on ebay elsewhere. Reported them to eBay who pulled all the adverts within an hour :)

I smell a rat.
What do you guys think?
I think you should cough up the link's or at least Ebay auction numbers to said rat smelling Ebay auctions, then we would have half a clue as to what your on about.

If what I think your getting at, its hardly a new scam. About the day after Ebay was lunched, there have been many who harvested a picture off of Ebay, listed it at a fantastic price hoping to get paid for it, whilst the good's where never in their possession.

Regards Phil.

The name on the one I bought was GREGORYBARN in New Port Richie.Until just a few minuets ago that's what was shown at the bottom of my summary.Now it says seller is Folsontcgfefr8 Winder Georgia.
How are they getting the money from Pay Pal?
I reported it to E-Bay but it is usless since the automated response says that I didn't bid on it(so I guess I can't report it?)That is what made me re check the address.
I changed my PW on my credit card and will dispute it if I don't recieve the chuck.

I have two of those - one plain back, black oxide ex CDCO, one bright, D1-3, ex H&H Industrial, both Chinese, if that was not obvious.

The goods are "OK", the 6 tenths TIR is ... meahh.. you maybe could touch it up to that, but otherwise "optimistic" by half a decimal point, if not a full one.

And the 'real' price is around $200 or better above that BIN price, even when on sale.

Plenty of that sort of s**t on ebay, and ebay waaay too big and gnarly to fix it without someone caring enough to take the time and effort as Andrew did.

Most of us can't be bothered.

Just apply "Caveat Emptor" as ancient Romans did.

"Bid on it"?

Well.. "wet paint' I might test, same as most folks.

'High Voltage", "Don't stop on the railway tracks", or the placard on the panel of a friend's PA28-180D I used to fly that said:

"If you must smoke, please - step outside"

.. I do NOT test!

BTW .. IF a bidder actually GETS such goods? Fair bet they were stolen and 'fenced' by fools.

Proper thieves as knows their game get closer to full-retail. Too-cheap is akin to calling in artillery on yer own position.

:D

Plenty of the same going on in all "markets" on Ebay
Last Dec I planned on upgrading my old Jacobson 6hp snow blower to a 8hp from the local unmentionable "H" tool "F" company.
The engine had good reviews and for what I wanted at $200 with a 90 day warranty, it fit the bill.
Ironically when I went to the store, no stock, no eta....
But on Ebay there were sellers(with low numbers )that had the same engine for as low as $50.00 starting bid and free shipping.
I asked the local store mgr what the return policy on the engine was, and he said as long as I had a STORE receipt and the engine wasn't modified, no problem.
So I waited a few weeks and picked one up at the store.

If you find a seller that you feel is scamming, you can pursue it with Ebay on the phone.
Most times with a justifiable complaint, they will look into it and address the issue.

ostie01 be glad you weren't the high bidder.That seller joined May 17 same as the others and only had the chuck for sale.
What I don't understand is how does E-Bay transfer funds to one account with all those different names?
I have never sold on E-Bay so I don't have a sellers account.I only have a Pay Pal account and there is never a balance because whatever I buy I pay for it with a credit card.I am assuming that the seller doesn't see my CC number?
I emailed E-Bay a complaint, explaining what I thought was going on.The chuck was supposed to be here on the 26th,I'm not holding my breath,so we will just wait and see.
I would just like to know how the scam works so somebody a little more computer literate hopefully will chime in.

I've been on eBay since the beginning as both a buyer and a seller. I've pretty much seen it all. This $23 chuck with a zero feedback and free shipping is definitely a scam.

If it were real, $23 would lose at least 15% to PayPal and eBay. That's less than $20 net. Then paying for shipping say flat rate would be at least $12. So there's less than $8.00 net? Why would anyone do something like that for $8.00?

On the good side, after the time for delivery passes with no item showing up, you can get your money back from eBay.

My rules for eBay:

1. If seller is zero feedback or has any negatives, I keep looking. No bid.

2. If it's too good to be true, it is. No Bid.

Avoid sellers with zero feedback like the plague. Avoid sellers with _ in their username. Avoid usernames that are a random jumble of characters.

The good thing with ebay is that you are not likely to lose any money with their buyer guarantee, but it could still be a pain and maybe risk giving your information to scammers?

I did a quick ebay search for 5C Collet Chuck with a max price of $50. Two turned up at $24 with free shipping. Both seller joined late may.

Definitely a scam. This is a hit and run operation which likely gets the payment out of the country and abandons the account for another.

Probably doing this with all kinds of items.

I bit on one with a D1-4 mount. About an hour after I paid, ebay notified me they had delisted the item. The seller'a name was miyagqmczir_1. Cost all of $ 23.69, free shipping.

"We had to remove this listing from the site and you're not required to complete the transaction. If you've already sent payment, the sale should process as normal and you don't have anything to worry about. If you have any questions about delivery, please check tracking or contact your seller. If you run into any trouble along the way eBay is here to help. Please visit the Resolution Center to help resolve any problems you may encounter.

This user is no longer registered on eBay."

Of course, by delisting, there are no links or way to communicate with the seller. (I knew it was going to be a problem, just trying to see what the deal was.)

Looks like I will be using the Resolution Center. I don't know what the seller is trying to accomplish, a weird product to dick around with.

John

Back