What's new
What's new

Sheldon R15 Parts wanted

ken moss

Stainless
I have had this R15 for a few years I need to find the parts or make them. The lathe is too nice to part out and is well tooled. The feed box has the input pinion gear bad and and about 6 bad gears on the inner disk bad. anyone with any R15/17 parts. I bought this lathe from a dealer his service guy told me it only had one bad gear got it home and pulled the feed box off to find more than that. it was still a good buy. I could use a lathe of this size. if no parts I could use a set of 16pd 20pa gear cutters. thanks Ken

Hi Ken,
Can't help with parts, but I own a 13" VR which is the same gear box. One big reason why the gears went south is the operator changed gears while still running. They never bothered to read the tag. Do these have needle bearings in all the gears? I heard that some of the first R series didn't. I made a couple for mine and it's been going just fine for 20 years. Please remember that those sets of gears have to be timed
Also, Bourn & Koch will make you those gears from print for more than the lathe is worth.

I know about B&K prices just the input pinion written on the a old parts list that came with the lathe was $900. it has needle bearings in the gears. Sheldon should have put some kind of interlock on the feed box so one could not shift while the lathe was running. Ken

Back